Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'94 KQ 300 with a leak of some sort????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 KQ 300 with a leak of some sort????

I bought a '94 KQ 300. It starts right up and runs very smooth. It had 300 miles on it when purchased (Odometer could have been disconnected - but I'm a trusting sort).

I took the kids at our Halloween party on a Hay ride - towing a 5x9 trailer w/6-8 kids. I kept it in 4wd and Low the whole time. Never going faster than 5 MPH.

Coming around the property on one run, I snagged a pole and had to back up. As I continued up a bit of a hill the engine started smoking - and there was some flames.

I got everyone off the trailer and away from the machine - then put the fire out. It was never to big and no damage was done.

Looking over the machine, I saw that there was fluid dripping onto the engine and exhaust below. It has also splashed up onto the bottom of the gas tank. It seemed to be gathering on the white tube that runs down from where the gas tank sits and back to where the air intake is. I don't know much about the machine yet - so sorry about the vague references.

I cleaned up the fluid, wiped the engine down and after everything had smoked off - it was back in good condition. I took another couple of runs with the kids - and wiped the bottom of that white tube every time I came in for a stop. At one point I hopped on the quad before cleaning off that tube - and (with the motion) all the fluid that had gathered on the tube doused the engine - and I got a good smoker again.

Any ideas on why I'm getting this oily condensation on the tube? Has anyone dealt with this issue? Please let me know - and be as detailed as you care - b/c I need all the direction I can get!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 93' 300 KQ and there are only 3 type's of fluid , well 4 if you count the front diff gear oil ; brake fluid , engine/tranny oil and gas !

The way you describe the leak , it sounds like you either ruptured the fuel tank or fuel hose attached to the petcock/on/off valve ; or you could've ruptured the oil/cooler are one of the oil/cooler lines !

If it doesn't smell like gas it's most likly the engine oil , the way the engine sits back to the rear on these models it could be the oil cooler or the fuel tank ; so i would start off removing the seat and plastics looking for the source of the leak !

If it's a fuel leak there's danger of fire and explosion from these plastic fuel tanks , and if it's an oil leak from the oil cooler or lines you will blow the engine ; check your engine oil level sight glass it's located on the right side between the rear fender and rear tire !

You'll need to wipe off the dirt to see the sight glass , engine oil fill level should be in the center of the sight glass with the engine cold ; if it's below the center you're losing oil ( either way don't ride it untill you find the leak) good luck and welcome to the forums !.........

Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be that you have an overly saturated air filter that is leaking oil down onto the engine. Open up your air filter and see if there is any oil pooled inside underneath the filter. About the only other option is that your 'snag' caused a break inthe engine oil system, maybe an oil line to the oil cooler. Since the KQ is air cooled and the transmission oil is shared with the engine oil, the only other fluid is gas.

I'm not sure if that snag had anything to do with your problem. The air cooled KQ wil tend to overheat if run in low range, at low speed and under load - like pulling a trailer filled wtih kids. It could be as simple as a temporary overheating problem, maybe helped along by that extra oil in the airbox.

Jaybee

Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice! It wasn't gas - so that narrows it down nicely to allow me to follow some of these trouble-shooting guidelines. I agree that the snag was most likely a coincidence - and not a source of the trouble.

I like this quad (toys=good :0)

Thanks again - and if there are any other ideas - please send them my way!

Rochester