Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger under power issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger under power issues

05 eiger auto 4x4, somedays the thing runs like a bat out of hell with no power lose then days when im climbing and even just full throttle it just doesnt have the power it should in high gear im full throttle and it doesnt have the power then if i put it in low gear it has the power that high gear would normally have??????????? ive never had the valves adjusted it has 1750miles on it. i have a clutch kit in it also. could maybe it be a worn belt? it doesnt ever really slip at all though???? so maybe im leaning on the valves???????? ive got a vinson carb on it as well also running a 132.5 main jet, hmf penland exhaust,.........just trying to figure out some ideas. maybe you guys on here could help me out on it here.?????

thanks phil

Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally one of the first things you'll notice when the valves need adjusting the engine will be hard to start with some backfiring through the carb or exhaust , however with this amount of mileage it wouldn't hurt to check them to see if they're within spec's ; not possitive of the spec's of the 500 but the 06' AC 400 FIS Auto i own has the Suzuki 376cc engine and the valve spec's on it are 0.006 inch intake and exhaust !

As for the clutch kit you can remove the belt cover to inspect the belt and clutch pullies for sign's of wear or damage , sign's of exccessive wear of the belt would be a large amount of belt material in the housing ; and a glazing on the face of the clutch pullies and or groove's worn in the primary and secondary pullies !

As for your other mod's and different carb if it was the jetting of the carb it would most likly run bad all the time , it could be trash/dirt in the fuel fouling the jet's of the carb ; i would do a plug check to determine if you're running to rich or lean mixture causing the power loss you can tell by the color of the sparkplug electrode !

A white/grey color indicates to lean , black means to rich ; and normal should be a light tan/brown color !

Good luck , and i hope this helps ; if not someone will answer your post who maybe of more help !.......

Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

I've read somewhere in one of these forums about the float bowl sometimes hanging up and making the unit run too rich and acting sluggish. How's the exhaust compare when running good vs bad...smell heavier when running bad? I'd tear down the carb and give it a good cleaning...making sure to pull the float pin and getting rid of any buildup in the slots.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

cleaned the carb still not running like it should plug was a bit black replaced it and see what happens from here im totally stumped. getting pretty annoyed

Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

i was going to say to change your plug, it may be breaking down under the load but you said that you were trying that now... well i dont now much about your exhaust but have you checked your spark arrester or baffels in it? im not sure if that is even possible with your exhaust but its just another couple of ideas for you... good luck buddy