Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Zilla frustration!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zilla frustration!

Hey guys, I'm new here and have searched the forums backwards and forwards for a similar thread. I have an '87 LT500R with a few issues. The first thing that happened was I was riding and the quad began to misfire and died shortly after. Right after dying I was surrounded by a cloud of white smoke. I figured it was a head gasket considering my coolant system was continually being pressurized when I would try to kick it over. I replace the head gasket and it lasted about 5 hours worth of ride time, and then the same thing happened again. Well this time I replaced the head gasket and base gaket as well as copper coating both. This time it lasted about 15 minutes before it started the process over. It will either end up pushing all the coolant out of the radiator or passing it through the exhaust.

I have a bad feeling that it might be a cracked or possibly warped head, but it still holds good compression. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Tbh, I have no real idea on what this can be, but did you notice the machine running very hot before the problem happened? Perhaps more details will get some more people to respond!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

go to quadracerhq the best sight for zilla 500's and quadracer 250 talk to Dr'q he will get it sorted out http://www.quadracerhq.com/forum/index.php get ready though to get rid of that fmf pipe because dr'q has his own line of pipes.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

No the engine wasnt running hot. It acts just like a blown head gasket really, but I replaced the head gasket and copper coated it literally 15 mins worth of ride time before it began doing the same thing. some how coolant is getting into the cylinder and exiting through the exhaust. The coolant system itself is being pressurized to the point to where it's actually pushing some coolant out of the radiator cap. Like I said it acts just like a blown head gasket, but I dont believe it would have blown that quick. I'm going to take the head off and check it for high spots. Its all I know to doat this point. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

It's an 87 so that means you have 6 head bolts 88-90 had 7.You need beefier studs.Blowing a head gasket is a common issue on the 87's.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool, thanks for the tip Scrambler, I appreciate it.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I was notified of that issue, I've looked around and heard people make mention of the mod but have never seen anything further on it. They do have an issue of blowing the head gaskets, but I'd hope they would last a little longer than 15 minutes, lol.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

No problem man this sight lost alot of 2 stroke guys but there is still alot of us out there.Thank god for machine specific sights!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haha, amen to that. This is the first break I've had in seeing anything with info on this beast.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

I know man.To me it's sad to se some of the machines that shaped the industry zilla,banshee,250r,tecate 4,blaster go by the way side because some environmentalist needed something to b!tch about.No engine design has been more simple,light weight or had the best power to weight ratio as a 2 stroke heck mine odly enough is a 2 stroke!it takes a 450 4 stroke to run with a 250 2 stroke.

Quick Reply: Zilla frustration!