Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Fuel petcock LT-F500 Quadrummer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel petcock LT-F500 Quadrummer?

Sorry, but don't have the manual and can't get it to start after the motor died last Sunday. Got spark and some fuel comes out of the bowl drain. I suspect the vacuum controlled petcock went bad because it gave off a buzzing sound just before the motor died.

Petcock has "on", "res" and "pri". A search here said that the "on, off" is vac controlled and the "pri" is manual and always on. Anyone can confirm that?

Also, did resistance test of coil and pickup. The coil readings were close but the pickup was low but took reading cold since I couldn't get it started. Book says take reading hot. Do these pickups go bad often?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

I have an eiger that I just added an in line fuel filter to after a carb rebuid. I primed the carb using the "pri" setting, and once it was filled as indicated by the level shown in the fuel filter, I switched the petcock to the on position. After running for 30 or so minutes, it died. I checked the fuel level in the filter and it was out. Repeated the process again by priming first, then on, and the same thing happened. So what you say makes sense. Mine runs ok as long as I leave it in the prime or "pri" position. I would be interested in knowing what you find out.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it looks like the pri setting is manual on, the res and on/run is also on but controled by a diaphragm on my petcock and IS SUPPOSED TO flow only when the motor is running. A hose coonected from the intake manifold to the diaphragm/petcock is supposed to allow flow of gas and shut off when the motor is not running. Kind of idiot proof setup...unless the diaphragm goes bad like I discovered on my petcock.

The faulty diaphragm allowed gas to drain into the manifold, filling the cylinder! Now I learned that the diaphragm is not serviceable and Suzuki only sells the petcock as an assembly at $80! I did find some petcock rebuild kits but not for ATV's, only street bikes. Gonna take my petcock apart tomorrow and try to modify it to have a true manual off and plug up that idiotic diaphragm.

Anyone know of a source for ATV petcock rebuild kits?