Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Mystery part - Please help, I have a picture!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery part - Please help, I have a picture!

OK -

I found the source of the oil leak on my '94 King Quad. It was coming from an air circulation hose. It was then gathering on the larger and rigid air intake tube, and then dripping on the engine, causing smoke and at one time a small fire.

Why there was oil gathering in this hose - I don't know. A mechanic at a Suzuki shop said it either had too much oil in it, was tipped, or rolled. It may have had too much oil in it when I bought it - as I couldn't see how to read the oil meter (bought it used) until I was actually changing the oil and saw what it looked like empty.

If you would open the link at the bottom of the page (I could not post the image), I found that the leak was coming from this thing that looks like a "T" fitting that is about 1 1/2 inches to the left of the #1 in the diagram. (the #1 is referring to the whole assembly).

I made a wrong assumption that the prior owner needed to make a splice and (working with what he had) used a T-joint rather than a straight connector, and then put some sort of cover over the T.

It was leaking and I could not tell if the leak was coming from the part or one of the hoses connected to it. So I took the part out, cut a couple of inches off either side of the hoses and put in a new section of hose.

One thing I noticed was that there was a white greasy material on the inside of the T. The stuff also made its way down a bit of the tubing. When I looked through the T, it was hollow, and I could not figure out what the bulb portion could be doing.

Post surgery, the quad is running strong and it seams that the burning oil smell is gone. I will have to wait until we have about a foot less snow, and 40 more degrees on the scale before I can do a thorough cleaning and see if there is any more leaking.

My only guess is that this part (which is conveniently not listed in the diagram) is a place where you can tap into to clear the lines or something???

I'd appreciate any help on this on this!

I'm going to have to link to the diagram -> LINK TO MYSTERY PART

Again, if you look at this linked diagram, the part I'm talking about is about an inch and a half to the left of the #1. It looks like a T-fitting with the branched-off portion rounded off to look like a little nub. If you tilt your head slightly to the left, the leak was on the right side of the mystery object.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery part - Please help, I have a picture!

Hard to tell very much from the drawing.

Question: Do you think there is any chance that the oil came from the air filter? Maybe over oiling the filter or backblow up into the filter area.

Jaybee