Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me into a king quad 750

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Pitkin1

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

He's saying you lose 30-40% of your HP though... So, riding a 700 would have the power of a 400-500 if his percentages are right. A 450 is all he wants, but he has to buy a 700 to get it. [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

You are correct, the EFI cuts back the gas to match the thinner air and you lose power. An EFI motor does not make anymore HP at altitude than a properly jetted carb motor. I rode a buddies 800 Polaris out there for a week last year and we had to shift into low range to get up the steeper hills or you would just come to a dead stop if you tried them in high.</end quote></div>

One problem with this statement is a properly tuned carb is just that for the elvation you tuned it at at so if you will be changeing elevations say 9000ft to 14000ft in the same ride the EFI will make up for that whereas a carb cannot. In a nutshell a EFI unit will run as good at 9000ft as it does at 14000ft not power wise but there will be no sputtering with the elvation changes!</end quote></div>

Yes , you are correct, I was talking about at a constant altitude.
I run across a lot of guys that thinks you don't lose HP at high altitude if you have EFI.

EFI is great when riding at varying altitudes(even more for 2 strokes).
I have a Cat M7 EFI snowmobile that I love for that reason.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You can get a dial-a-jet for the carb. That will cure the elevation change problem for carbs.

I think the point about losing hp in higher altitudes is that there is less O2 because the air is thinner. Less O2 = less hp. To make the most power you want the most dense air you can find... and then compress it even more with a turbo or supercharger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Maybe, in higher elevations, you should only buy an atv that you could also buy a turbo for?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

Its not a huge deal with the stock tires, but once you put some decent mud tires on, its a death-trap in my opinion... I refuse to ride my friend's anymore. At least until the caster is fixed. There are 2 choices to fix the caster. 1) buy aftermarket a-arms. 2) cut the existing arms and install washers as shims to move the top arm back and the bottom arm forward. You should be able to find more info about this in higherlifter.com</end quote></div>

Now that's a little bit of a joke. I've had my 26" Swamplites on for over a year and 1800 miles and have never ran across this problem. Yes the problem is there and several have had an issue with it but just remember, the people who haven't had an issue with it are less likely to speak up about it. I think it has to do with the type of riding done and where it is done. Just my opinion (and experience)
Buck

Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SBuckJ

Its not a huge deal with the stock tires, but once you put some decent mud tires on, its a death-trap in my opinion... I refuse to ride my friend's anymore. At least until the caster is fixed. There are 2 choices to fix the caster. 1) buy aftermarket a-arms. 2) cut the existing arms and install washers as shims to move the top arm back and the bottom arm forward. You should be able to find more info about this in higherlifter.com</end quote></div>

Now that's a little bit of a joke. I've had my 26" Swamplites on for over a year and 1800 miles and have never ran across this problem. Yes the problem is there and several have had an issue with it but just remember, the people who haven't had an issue with it are less likely to speak up about it. I think it has to do with the type of riding done and where it is done. Just my opinion (and experience)

Buck</end quote></div>

The people that haven't had issue probably just ride slow and carefully. 30-35 into a curve is fast for most people.

It only takes one time. Just like riding without a helmet. At least riding without a helmet can be enjoyable.... Not sure how having a steering problem is worth the risk. It does make the steering seem lighter though. So, If you go slow, that would be a plus.

My friend still hasn't fixed his in nearly 2 yrs. He's aware of the problem and just doesn't ride it that fast or take any chances. I guess he's been intending to fix it for 2 yrs, just never got around to it. I don't know.

To each his own. I'm just putting it out there. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

He's saying you lose 30-40% of your HP though... So, riding a 700 would have the power of a 400-500 if his percentages are right. A 450 is all he wants, but he has to buy a 700 to get it. [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

You are correct, the EFI cuts back the gas to match the thinner air and you lose power. An EFI motor does not make anymore HP at altitude than a properly jetted carb motor. I rode a buddies 800 Polaris out there for a week last year and we had to shift into low range to get up the steeper hills or you would just come to a dead stop if you tried them in high.</end quote></div>

One problem with this statement is a properly tuned carb is just that for the elvation you tuned it at at so if you will be changeing elevations say 9000ft to 14000ft in the same ride the EFI will make up for that whereas a carb cannot. In a nutshell a EFI unit will run as good at 9000ft as it does at 14000ft not power wise but there will be no sputtering with the elvation changes!</end quote></div>

Yes , you are correct, I was talking about at a constant altitude.

I run across a lot of guys that thinks you don't lose HP at high altitude if you have EFI.

EFI is great when riding at varying altitudes(even more for 2 strokes).

I have a Cat M7 EFI snowmobile that I love for that reason.</end quote></div>

It's all good! One thing is for sure when you ride here in Co you deff don't stay at constant altitude and that is why I will nver own a carbed quad again!!!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Any of you guys have trouble with the king quad battery?

I was talking to my friend this weekend and he told me he had the battery replaced 3 times under warranty so far. And it looks like it will be a 4th time because he couldn't ride this weekend since the battery wouldn't take a charge. I was shocked.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Any of you guys have trouble with the king quad battery?

I was talking to my friend this weekend and he told me he had the battery replaced 3 times under warranty so far. And it looks like it will be a 4th time because he couldn't ride this weekend since the battery wouldn't take a charge. I was shocked.</end quote></div>

From what I have read on numerous sites, it is usually the battery prep that causes this problem. I also believe the ECM was warrantied if he hasn't had that changed. That was suppose to cause a battery drain.
Hope this helps
Buck

Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks, I'll let him know about the ECM. What do you mean about battery prep?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Try this link. It should help him with his battery issues and explain the dealer prep issue.
http://www.nyrocatv.com/forum....=17506&searchtext=dead battery
Hope this helps him. very good site.
Buck

Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks again! I didn't know it was an AGM battery. That may explain the problem.... I don't think those fair well being charged like a regular flooded SLA battery. I know they use a different charging algorithm and my batterminder has a setting just for those batteries. Most (cheap) battery chargers will only charge (and almost certainly overcharge) flooded or deep-cycle flooded batteries.

If it was mine, I would just install a plain ole time-tested flooded SLA and cross the spilled-acid bridge if the quad ever flipped.

Oh, and he introduced me to the Nyroc website a couple weeks ago. He said he was doing a lot of reading there back when he first got his King and said there's a lot of smart people over there. He also said he doesn't think too highly of this site.... Too much bad advice from the yamaha section about his warrior. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Talk me into a king quad 750