Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400, power cap, jetting and air box questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400, power cap, jetting and air box questions

Hey i am new to the forum...I have an 04 ltd ed. z400, i do mostly trail riding and hill climbs...i cut out the spark arester and have a k&n with outwears on it. I want more low end for the hills so i am going down to a 13T front sprocket and i want to get this power cap to install...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW
My question is should i remove the lid or drill holes in it...if the holes how big, where, how many, and what size? Also what jet kit should i buy...i have looked at the dyno and fmf on rockymountain and both have mixed review...right know im getting alot of black suit around the end cap which makes me think its already running rich so i may not need to rejet at all. Sorry for the info bomb but any help would be great. Thanx.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

ttt

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

the 13 tooth gear will help the most. if there is black suit around the exhust could be running rich from too big of jets or the air filter is dirty and not letting air in. that (power cap) does nothing except make more noise. people will fight about this. you can only cram somuch air through the stock header. the most bang for your buck is. 13 tooth front sprocket, complete exhust( not a slip on), take the lid off the air box, rejet. less then 400.00 and it will give you lotts of fun.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auburn08
Hey i am new to the forum...I have an 04 ltd ed. z400, i do mostly trail riding and hill climbs...i cut out the spark arester and have a k&n with outwears on it. I want more low end for the hills so i am going down to a 13T front sprocket and i want to get this power cap to install...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW
My question is should i remove the lid or drill holes in it...if the holes how big, where, how many, and what size? Also what jet kit should i buy...i have looked at the dyno and fmf on rockymountain and both have mixed review...right know im getting alot of black suit around the end cap which makes me think its already running rich so i may not need to rejet at all. Sorry for the info bomb but any help would be great. Thanx.
Well by taking off the end cap you actually took away from the torque you are trying to make up. Dropping the sprocket size will help the gearing but that is not your problem.

Your problem is you've messed up your power curve with your set up. If you are going to let in more air (removing air-box lid) you need to get in more fuel and that includes jetting. You are then going to have to help those new gasses escape at the proper speed which means new head-pipe and a new canister (muffler) to complete the package.

Right now all you've done it take away some low end and add some loud noise.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I see....well i cant justify dropping a quarter of the fourwheelers value into an exhaust system bc i am eventually goin to upgrade to a 450r. So im probly just going to do the end cap and remove the lid and rejet. Which jet kit do i need to get (fmf, dyno, or another i dont know about) and will going up one size be enough for taking off the lid? Also i was reading up on these kits and its kinda tricky bc they dont use the same numbers as stock. Thanx again.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

well I go riding with a 09 yfz 450 and a lt450r. and with my z400 I can stay right with them and beat them in a drag. then they get stuck and cant go any farther I put my machene in reverse and thay have to get off and push. and yes I can and do beat them forward and reverse so I am a beliver of a z400. of course its not stock. but its all paid for. any way the best jet kit for the money is

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/LTZ-JKIT.html

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok that is a 150..what is stock 145? Yea i just dont want to throw that much money in to mod a z just to make it run with a 450r, i have ridin both and i like my friends honda 450r...except his an earlier without reverse or electric start, that was his mistake.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

its more for the adjustable needle. the stock does not adjust. are you just trying to get it to run better to sell it or are you going to keep it for a while?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

all im going to need is a jet...it runs fine now i just want to get a better lookin end cap on there for when i sell it...and i want more bottom now because im going to ride it for a while until i run across a steal on a 450r...i wont need the 450 till i start gettin outrun...i ride with a 400ex hoo is a good rider and a honda 450r hoo is a pansy so as long as im the fastest i will stick with the z.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

the alba kit works great with ltz400 I just finished a rebuild new pipe filter etc. if you cant get the jetting right there's a dyno kit which i robbed parts from to correct the main size (little richer) and pilot but kept the adjustable needle installed. I removed the airbox lid ,and set the needle in the 3rd position. my friends new screamer.
Name:  DSCF1877.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  142.6 KB

Quick Reply: z400, power cap, jetting and air box questions