Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 Oil coming out of exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Oil coming out of exhaust?

I just purchased an LT80. I just have a few questions that will hopefully be answered. I need to get a title for it since I live in Indiana. The VIN sticker on the front if half torn off so I can't read it all, Is there any other way to find the VIN?

The seller said it was a 1994 how could I find out for sure what year it is?

I got it home and finally got it started, now there seems to be oil shooting out of the exhaust. What could cause that? It doesn't seem to be that think so maybe it could be something else?

I mainly bought this for my 4 year old son. Is there any way to turn it down so it doesn't go that fast?? and also turn it up so I can ride it?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm, well, the VIN is on the piece that the front fenders bolt to (the shock support so to speak). Prolly have to remove the fenders to scribe it with paper and pencil.
The VIN# will also tell what year ( I think it goes by a letter). Sorry I don't know what letter represents what year. FYI: there have only been a cpl changes to them thru the years.
They spit oil. Maybe the pipe has accumulated oil/gas in it, maybe it just needs run and blown out.
There is a screw on the throttle to limit the speed.
OK, now for the good part.....I've answered your questions,,but,,,
I cannot and will not condone a 4 yr old on a LT80. A nice 40 or 50cc machine is what's needed here.
Or you could ride him around on it till a proper sized machine is found/afforded.That's what a friend has done. His kids seem to have fun.
I could be wrong. Your child could be sitting on the machine with feet on the pegs with knees bent, and hands on the bars w/o stretching, elbows are bent and fingers can grab the brake lever.
Have a safe day.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm sorry, I bought so me and my son could ride together. Not just for me to put him on it and say go. even though he is big enough for it. But, anyway. I found the VIN thank you very much. and the oil stopped spitting out after riding it today. A couple of things that I need to do and need help with is...The front brake cables. It doesn't have any and I need to put some on. How do I adjust the throttle? It moves about an 1/8 of and inch maybe a little more before it starts doing anything. One more thing....What kind of or size tires should I put on it it needs some new ones? Its just going to be for going around the yard and through some mud no racing or anything.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am also wanting to change all of fluids in it. What all fluids do I need to change and what will go back in it?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Good deal dude, thanks for explaining.
Fluid: there is oil in the gear box. It drains by removing a bolt on the bottom. It fills by the bolt in the top. There is a bolt by the front sprocket. You remove that and fill the gear box with 10-40 oil till it weeps out the hole.
Throttle cable: you adjust the cable by the brass screw on the top of the carb.
I like the stock size tires.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to put something a little wider on the back. Is that possible or would it hurt anything. What would be a good size if thats ok? Ill keep the stock size on the front. What kind/brand of tires would be good also?