Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How comfortable is the ride on a Z400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How comfortable is the ride on a Z400?

I know it's a sport quad and it's built for speed etc.. but I really want a comfortable but fast quad. I'm riding a 300ex right now and the suspension is just to soft for my weight. (270lbs) after a couple hours in the saddle it's just uncomfortable and I feel beat up.

I love the ride on my wifes 330 Trail Boss it rides like a caddilac but not enough power for me. I've been looking at used quads and the 400ex, the LZ400 and the predator500 keep coming up in my price range($2200-$2800) I'm hoping the longer travel suspension might hold up better. What's the seat like after several hours of riding?

I know I might like the ride on a big cushy utility quad but to get the kind of power I'd like they would be out of my price range.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dusty trails
I know it's a sport quad and it's built for speed etc.. but I really want a comfortable but fast quad. I'm riding a 300ex right now and the suspension is just to soft for my weight. (270lbs) after a couple hours in the saddle it's just uncomfortable and I feel beat up.

I love the ride on my wifes 330 Trail Boss it rides like a caddilac but not enough power for me. I've been looking at used quads and the 400ex, the LZ400 and the predator500 keep coming up in my price range($2200-$2800) I'm hoping the longer travel suspension might hold up better. What's the seat like after several hours of riding?

I know I might like the ride on a big cushy utility quad but to get the kind of power I'd like they would be out of my price range.
Well I can tell you the z400 will handle your weight just fine, I'm more than you and mine has been fine......I don't even run the suspension at full tightness because it is way too stiff.....

You can run the suspension pretty soft on the z400 and get it to ride pretty nice.......however, depending on your riding style it is hard to dial the suspension in perfect for all conditions....

For example, mine is great at medium to high speeds....but at low speeds the ride is pretty rough. It is not a smooth utility type ride that is for sure.

The main thing is that sport quads are just not meant for your butt to be on the seat.....in rough stuff they are designed for you to stand up....best option is to get a desert racing seat.

The stock z400 seat is pretty comfy, so is the 400ex.....the Predator is not comfy IMO as it has a huge lump in the seat where the airbox is.....

I sat on a z400 with a desert seat and it was great.... I've often thought of getting a desert racing seat myself. The extra cushion is nice, and it puts your knees at a better angle for long seated rides......

As it is in my z400 if I'm on one of those longer, slower rides, I end up stretching my legs out by putting my feet on the front of my nerf bars......

Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ss97

As it is in my z400 if I'm on one of those longer, slower rides, I end up stretching my legs out by putting my feet on the front of my nerf bars......

I can just see you with a set of highway pegs on your z.

Like ss97 said, these things aren't really made to sit on. And another issue with the preddy is it puts your knees right on the plastic tank covers. Very uncomfortable.

Another option if you do get the z, is to have the seat reupholstered to your liking. You can use a memory foam and a gel pack and have a very comfortable ride.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
I can just see you with a set of highway pegs on your z.

Like ss97 said, these things aren't really made to sit on. And another issue with the preddy is it puts your knees right on the plastic tank covers. Very uncomfortable.

Another option if you do get the z, is to have the seat reupholstered to your liking. You can use a memory foam and a gel pack and have a very comfortable ride.
LOL....yeah I should get a big set of those monkey bars too......

You know I bet a Warrior would be a great quad to turn into a "beach cruiser".....big monkey bars, highway pegs, some saddle bags, big old slicks and one of those notched seats......that would be cool....and funny as heck.......

Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

z400s are very comfortable imo, one of the most comfortable sport quads to me.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i can honestly say that i like the ride off my 400z over a 400 ex i didn't much care for the steering or suspention travel on on the ex another option which i didn't find to bad if you can get in your price range was a yamaha raptor those rode fairly good. also a polaris scrambler my buddy has n likes but if you decide to get a 400z i recommend if you ride alotta trails extended a-arms and rear axle i have my done 2 inches from lonestar raceing and it improves stabiltity alot