Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How to install Crank on a LT250r

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install Crank on a LT250r

anybody ever install a crank on a LT before? if so how do you go about doing it?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

take head off,take cylinder base nuts off then pull off cylinder(if 87-92 be sure to disconnect powervalve rod),pull side covers off then remove mag and stator/clutch assembly and all gears from the clutch side(lay them out carefully the way u take them out),now theres bolts goin in on both sides I like to put all those in to pieces of cardboard to keep from mixing them up.my 87 lt I had to take the 2 screws out from the counter balencer.once all the bolts are removed ur gonna have to work the cases apart it might be a bitch theres a tool but I always pry them apart back and forth very CAREFULLY! once u get them to start coming apart be careful the tranny doesnt fall out(its easier to keep it together)<at this point the crank end and tranny are seperating from the cases dont worry about the crank.If ur careful enough the cases will seperate and u can take the tranny out with all the gears/washers intact on the 2 shafts to make things easier.once the trannys out the crank will be in one case still I bang it out with a rubber mallet.ok now is re assembly(I replace main bearings/seals),make sure all the sealing surfaces are clean,get the new crank in on the tranny case than is the tranny,the tranny will need to be out together in neutral(theres notches on the shift drum the shallow one is the neutral notch),u have to get the 2 gear shafts in place and put the shift forks on them(theres smooth surfaces for them),make sure when u have the shift fork ends in the shift drum too and the 2 pins that hold the forks on are all in that the little wheel is locked in to the shallow(neutral) groove at this point the tranny is in(it is essential the tranny is set in neutral).ok now is the time to install the gasket which my kit had no center gasket so I had to use gasket maker then slide the other case over making sure its all lined up then start putting bolts back on alternating how u tighten them to bring the cases back together then when they are together put all those bolts back in and tighten.If youve come thus far I think u can back track the rest good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nice! thank you. I will try it out next weekend.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

nice. that was a clear instruction. thanks for that one.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hey if you need help getting new bearings or putting the crankshaft in the bearings check out this site:
Dan's Motorcycle "Splitting the Crankcase"

I found it pretty helpful.