Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT-f250 quadrunner help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-f250 quadrunner help!

I have been working on a 1995 lt-f 250 for a while now,I got fed up and parked it 6 mo ago. Originally we drove it and parked it then it would not start it had fuel and fire. I got it out of the barn this week ordered a carb kit and a spring for the diaphram that holds the needle valve in place,rebuilt the carb put it all back together got it running ran pretty good test drove it it did pretty well. I parked it and repaired one of the tires a couple of hours later I tried to start it and it will not start? It has fuel and fire? wont even start with starting fluid. Any Ideas??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

check the compression and or the valve adjustment. Intake valve should be at .001-.003" exhaust should be .003-.005" Valves improperly adjusted can cause the starting problems your describing.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default spark fuel wont start

Originally Posted by mustangstephen
check the compression and or the valve adjustment. Intake valve should be at .001-.003" exhaust should be .003-.005" Valves improperly adjusted can cause the starting problems your describing.

Im haveing the same problem with my 93 lt-4wd can anyone tell me what the compression should be????????

Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

Standard compression will be between 142-199 psi. the service limit is 114 psi according to my clymer repair manual.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the comp psi ill check this weekend dam thing about it is i live in an apt and the beast in 45 min away in a diff state. Junkyard please let us know if you figure it out. will work on plow as at least one thing works

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ltf 250

Ok I have purchased a cdi box(288.00), installed it still no change in problem. Im gonna try an electric fuel pump next?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

junkyard, you said in your first post you had fuel and fire but followed that with a question mark. I'm confused. So do you or not? If so why are you wasting your time and money with parts in these catagories??? A engine needs 3 things to run: fuel, spark, and COMPRESSION) Check the damn valve clerances! Unless you have a compression guage handy checking the valves is easier than going out and getting a guage. fyi, you can't get a feeler guage inside the valve adjuster caps. just get a 3/8 drive socket, bout a 6" extension, and a 17mm socket. The exhaust cap is easy to get to, for the intake take the seat off and use the extension through a hole in the frame. Turn the engine slowly either bumping the starter or with the pull rope and see if you can get slack in the intake valve rocker arm. Ifnot then loosen the lock nut (10mm) and use a screw driver to back out the adjuster screw till you get the smallest amount of slack. then tighten the lock nut and make double sure there is still slack afterwards. Do the same with the exhaust only double the slack. Do not back the lock nut completly off the screw! if you think your a little loose you can still try starting the quad to see if it worked. If so just go back and do a fine adjustment before you ride. or take it to a suzuki shop.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mustangstephen
junkyard, you said in your first post you had fuel and fire but followed that with a question mark. I'm confused. So do you or not? If so why are you wasting your time and money with parts in these catagories??? A engine needs 3 things to run: fuel, spark, and COMPRESSION) Check the damn valve clerances! Unless you have a compression guage handy checking the valves is easier than going out and getting a guage. fyi, you can't get a feeler guage inside the valve adjuster caps. just get a 3/8 drive socket, bout a 6" extension, and a 17mm socket. The exhaust cap is easy to get to, for the intake take the seat off and use the extension through a hole in the frame. Turn the engine slowly either bumping the starter or with the pull rope and see if you can get slack in the intake valve rocker arm. Ifnot then loosen the lock nut (10mm) and use a screw driver to back out the adjuster screw till you get the smallest amount of slack. then tighten the lock nut and make double sure there is still slack afterwards. Do the same with the exhaust only double the slack. Do not back the lock nut completly off the screw! if you think your a little loose you can still try starting the quad to see if it worked. If so just go back and do a fine adjustment before you ride. or take it to a suzuki shop.
Does the oil have to be drained b4 you adjust the valves?
And if they aren't at the right spec. Will that be the cause of lack of Acceleration? Cause I have to get to a high rev before the 4wheeler will start to move any ideas?

Old 11-20-2021, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 308 Likes on 302 Posts

"I have to get to a high rev before the 4wheeler will start to move any ideas?"

This is a clutch slipping, probably the centrifugal. Get the workshop manual and take the clutch cover off, you will need to drain the oil for this, though not for valve adjustment. The centrifugal usually works fine until the lining is worn away at one end of each shoe, so easy to tell if it is worn out. The multiplate clutch needs dismantling and each plate's thickness checking for wear, that is why you need the manual, and something to measure the thickness.