Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Water problems with 06 Kingquad

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water problems with 06 Kingquad

Hi, I am a new member, but have enjoyed this site for a few years now. I am looking for some answers to 2 issues I am having with my Kingquad when riding in rivers, deep water/mud, etc.

My first issue appears to be spark related. The last trip out, my King wouldn't start after a splashfest in the North Saskatchewan River. It was running fine, and had been out of the water for about half an hour. I shut it off to eat, and it wouldn't start again. We spent an hour attempting to get her going, to no avail. Shamefully, my buddy pulled me 20 km out of the deep bush with his 650 Outlander. I was Not Happy. Dried out the plug at camp the next morning and it worked fine. Are there better plugs, or other fixes for this problem. I had a similar issue 2 years before, after a splash in the Pembina river. At that time I thought it was the air filter so I let it dry overnight and it was fine. I have replaced the stock filter with a K+N.

Second is the issue of belt slippage. After only a few minutes of playing around in the rivers and waterholes, I have to pull out of the water (yes, I pull my drain plug) and watch while my buddies on Honda's and Can-Ams have fun in the water. I realize the Honda's are shaft driven and wont slip, but the Kingquad should run just as well in the water as the Outlanders and other CVT's. I have replaced the stock belt and plan to build a snorkel system for the rear belt exhaust vent.

I have seen video's of guys running their Kinquads almost fully submerged for significant periods of time. Yes, they are seriously modded/snorkelled, but I just want to be able to ride where the rest of my buddies are riding on their stock machines...well maybe a little further. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Dielectric grease the spark plug boot and you should be fine. I had a similar issue on my 05 KQ700

Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

As far as the Spark issue, I have silicone sprayed electrical connections I thought would be underwater.
The belt slippage is due to a low belt exhaust issue. I traded in a Kodiak 450 for my King and imagine how p'ed off I was when we both went through a creek...me with belt slippage and the 450 went fine!! There is a fix to this. go to Nyroc's ATV info website and join there forums. Under tech tips you'll find something to help you. I did their mod and it only took an hour or so with good results.
Hope this helps
Buck

Old 01-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice papahouse and SBuckJ.

SBuckJ, which mod from the tech tips did you use to re-vent your exhaust? I couldn't find anything in the tech tips??

Thanks again
Codie

Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. This thread at Nyroc is good for what you're looking for.

Nyroc's ATV info website exhaust

Buck