Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2006 z400

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she's an 03, I'd try to get some money back, Still a good bike, take a look at the front shock mounts for stress cracks, that was a problem with 03-04 like Scooter said. If its got the stress cracks then its been jumped HARD, only seen one bike like that and that bike went threw hell and back.

did they have clutch cover recall on the 03's as well? I know I did it on my 06 and it was eatting its way threw. Got it fixed just in time before it ate its way threw.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yep ....I agree with DVX..I had an 05 a couple of years ago...great bike!! But this looks to be an 03, definetly check the frame and the shock mounts, the frame gusset kit is a really good idea to stop the cracking and separation! The bike should serve you well! Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Don't think they went to the magnesium cover until 05. Anything earlier should be fine.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I still haven't gotten the title, supposedly this weekend

Here is what she looks like after I installed a new headlight assy, the stupid git cut the headlight connector off the harness but I located a bad harness from someone elsewhere and when it gets here I'll cut it off and solder it onto mine....

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Wheeler looks good and that looks like a good place to ride!

Title stuff is always frustrating. I had trouble with my last ATV purchase in that the guy I bought it from didn't have the wheeler in his name (it was still in the previous owner's name) and I had to call the DNR and have them sort everything out for me.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

This guy is just flakey. He lives about 200 miles from me too but once again he's supposed to come down this weekend and deliver the other item from the trade we made for my motorhome. Plus he owes me the title for the chevy truck and second key for the atv, and for the truck. The other item was a trailer made from a truck bed I'll use to haul a 450 gallon truck tank (we have no well drilled here, we haul water from the community well)

I've had a lot of time to study the atv, it was wrecked badly before, I need to get the true story from him this weekend but it appears it fell off it's trailer or back of a truck at highway speeds. I knew it had been "wrecked" as there are scrapes and broken body mounts (under the plastic fenders the place where you attach to the frame, a few are broken off, need new plastic body pieces) the clutch control has been scraped badly where the center post is, etc... The engine seems new however and he assured me there are almost no hours on it, so I bet someone trashed this (maybe him, maybe a prev. owner) At some point I'm going to have to get it's history looked up but until I get the title I have to bide my time. The handlebars are slightly bent, and the rear handle also. I'd say this thing took a nasty spill and rolled end over end or worse at one point. Yesterday the roads around here were dry enough for me to do a 3 mile loop and I had it up to about 40mph and boy it was joyous! I'm dying for dryer roads, and warmer weather. That is the most I've been able to ride it since I got it :/ I'm not really complaining about her condition though, in this cash-strapped time I'm lucky to have gotten rid of the motorhome and obtained the stuff I did. As time and money permits I'll restore her to prime condition and then work on getting another as I want a 4WD atv as well, too much snow and mud here not to have 4wd. I also need to buy a pressure washer as well

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I'd buy some new bars. I bent mine once and I was able to bend them by hand back so it was driveable. They are very weak now and one spill and they will bend right down or break off. AFtermarket bars are 10x the stock ones are. If I had to guess, I'd say he rolled that bike end over end quite a few times. Whats the subframe look like? is it tweaked at all? I know mine bent pretty good from doing cartwheels down a giant hill LOL

All this talk makes me want to fire mine up lol, too bad we got 2 feet of snow and i'm still puttin miles on the sled!

hope everything goes well with the bike in the future, they are awesome bikes to ride. Best sportquad out there IMO!!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Same here its killing me not to ride. Still too much snow here. Atleast its melting!! Spring is just around the corner.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys,

I'm pricing all sorts of replacement parts, buying used where possible, etc. When I get the new connector for the headlight then I'll work on the tail light (I want to ride at night) and then replace some of the cracked plastic fenders. Not for cosmetics though, but because the mounts underneath are broken in a few places where they attach to the frame. I'm going to replace the handlebars and the left clutch control assy ( http://terminus.attitude.net/local--...ndle-lever.jpg ) which functions fine but is scraped badly and looks like if I ever needed to work on it might be problematic. The rest of the frame other than the rear "handle" appears to be ok. He confirmed last night he'd be here Saturday to hand me the title and other stuff. THEN I will ask him point blank about how fast was the truck going when the atv flew off.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Keep us updated!

Quick Reply: 2006 z400