Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need Help With Sub Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Sub Transmission

Got a 250 4x4 Quadrunner (LTF250??) that has me stumped. The gear box is locked up unless it is in low-low. When in low-low everything works fine(Neutral and all gears). When I say locked up it will not roll even in neutral when in high or low. I went through all the simple stuff and found nothing obvious. I now have the left cover off where the sub trans is located, the shift forks and sliding dogs are all are within spec according to the shop manual. Everything seems to function fine, however I am missing something on the way this is supposed to function. From what I can figure out the sliding dogs when functioning properly should engage one gear and disengage the other. It looks like the outer gear on the small shaft when in the outward position locked to the outer gear on the outer shaft causes the box to lock up due to the inner gear on the small shaft still locked to the inner gear on the large shaft.

In short, I would expect the small inner gear to unlock from the large outer gear when they are idling. Anyone have any ideas.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Need Help With Sub Transmission

Originally Posted by ddemmith
Got a 250 4x4 Quadrunner (LTF250??) that has me stumped. The gear box is locked up unless it is in low-low. When in low-low everything works fine(Neutral and all gears). When I say locked up it will not roll even in neutral when in high or low. I went through all the simple stuff and found nothing obvious. I now have the left cover off where the sub trans is located, the shift forks and sliding dogs are all are within spec according to the shop manual. Everything seems to function fine, however I am missing something on the way this is supposed to function. From what I can figure out the sliding dogs when functioning properly should engage one gear and disengage the other. It looks like the outer gear on the small shaft when in the outward position locked to the outer gear on the outer shaft causes the box to lock up due to the inner gear on the small shaft still locked to the inner gear on the large shaft.

In short, I would expect the small inner gear to unlock from the large outer gear when they are idling. Anyone have any ideas.
My late cousin's first quad was a New1989 Suzuki LTF4WD 250 QuadRunner it was really hard for him to shift gear's with the foot shifter , reason #1. he didn't have much strenth in his left foot ; reason #2.was the fact that these quad's with the sub tranny have at the least 2" slackness in the gear's !

They remind me of big truck's i drove for Textile Rubber And Chemical Company in the 60's and 70's , you had to shift at a certin RPM to keep from growling of the gear's every truck had a different timimg of the RPM's for smooth shift's , my cousin just couldn't get the hang of timing to shift with his weak foot .

He would just shift to the higher gear's to get it going untill i welded a hand shifter to the foot shifter to keep him from burning up the clutch , in your case you could need to adjust the main foot shift cable that's routed to the shift shalt located on the left side back to where the shift shalt come's out of gear box case i've seen the shift lever lock bolt become loose allowing the lever slip a tooth on the shift shalf ; there are 3 more cable's that could need adjusted in between the fuel tank and seat !

After my cousin sold the 89' Suzuki LTF4WD QuadRunner he bought a new 1993 Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ and it also had the slack in the gearing caused by the same Sub Transmission's had this slackness in the drive train from 1988 to 1999 , this slackness caused my cousin to use the brake's when going down steep hill's ; even though i would put the quad in first gear with the foot shifter , Super Low sub trans and 4WD Diff Lock in this gearing mode i would have to press the thumb throddle to make it go on the steepest of hill's where we rode .

I showed him that i could get off the quad on these steep hill's and the quad would stop untill i got back on the quad and gave it throddle to get down the hill's , even after my demo of how low the gearing was ; but every time he let go of the hand brake and the quad would feel like it was going to run away with him he would grab the hand brake !

Sorry for this novel and i hope it's just the cable adjustment's to solve your problem , if not someone will jump in with more info on what it could be ; these little Quad's are BullitPruff and will take you into the wilderness and bring you back !
And Welcome to the forums .

williebee........