Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Quad Lt230GEF help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Quad Lt230GEF help!!

First of all Hello!
I was given this quad bike out of a friends shed a while ago and now ive finally gotten aroudn to looking at it and im in dire need of some help.

First of all the back brake, im having difficulties on how to take the drum off so that way i can change the shoes or replace what ever is broken.

This seems to be the only issue i have right now... Fingers crossed!

Thanks for you help

Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your trying to remove the rear drum and it will not pull off correct..??

If so, try loosening the brake cable adjustment.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm well i took off that whole bit, heres a photo of the back, the axle that goes to the back right wheel seems to be one complete piece?

heres a picture to see what i mean

Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so i figure that the shoes have sieze and are holding the drum there or what.So ive covered it in CRC going to let it sit and then use my precision tool tomorrow. And if not ill need to find a big Puller

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

get some pbblaster from your auto store let it soak overnight should help if rust is the problem... and yes the drum could be wiped out causing the pads to get caught in a grove but if you release the brake adjuster then it should help with that.. goodluck..

Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer

The drum slides off the left side of the axle, which means, you have to slide the entire axle out of the quad to get the drum off. I dont really know why they did this. I have an LT230F shaft drive, and we loosened the 2 nuts on the left side of the axle housing so they were not threaded on, and slid the axle over as far as we could to get the rear shoes off.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you so so much! was jsut about to heat it and bang it off with a hammer. So id assume id have to remove the whole back axle disconnect the drive shaft and take the whole diff off? or does it split into two at the diff?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

On mine, I just undid the 2 large nuts on the left hand side of the axle housing, on the axle, and the axle slides through, if you want to take the drum off, you have to remove the left side wheel and hub, and the entire axle should slide through, no need to touch the diff or bearings. Mine does not have a diff, it is actually just a ring and pinion in there, I assume yours is the same, it looks the same back there. Mine has a dual range box between the engine and ring and pinion.

If you just want to replace the shoes like I did, I left the hub on, you can slide the axle about 10" over, or untill the hub hits the axle housing

Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Looking closer at it i cant see how it can slide off to the left without taking the back diff apart.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

On mine, there are 2 nuts where I circled in the pic , you have to unscrew them completely, and you can slide the axle through. It is old, and may need some assistance with a hammer.

I have a clymer manual and it says that the rear diff unit is non servicable without several special Suzuki tools, and is generally sold as a complete assembled unit.

Attached Thumbnails Suzuki Quad Lt230GEF help!!-p1030283n.jpg  

Quick Reply: Suzuki Quad Lt230GEF help!!