Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt250 timing problem!!! im so confused! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt250 timing problem!!! im so confused! HELP

i have a lt250....S....i think? vin number is gone and no title...

SO HERES THE DEAL

it has a 250 bottom end...had a 230 cylinder and 250 head

its a frankenstien i know =[

so i bought a new 250 head and cylinder and new timing chain for a lt250s 1989 BUT WHY IS IT SOOOOO SHORT??!?! i put it on the cam sprocket and then on the cam and it is so tight...my motor gains double compression with it and it holds the cam out of the rear journal a quarter inch

someone please give me any opinions or anything they can think of!!!!

i called my local dealer and they said this is the only timing chain for the 250 so what am i lookin at here?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default A few things

May sound silly but did you loosen the cam chain tensioner? Also do you have the slides that the cam chain rides against slid into the block from the top correctly into the groove it rests in on the bottom behind the magneto?

If you didn't you should be ok fixing any one of those issues.

Second. If you did loosen the tensioner and the cam chain still seems short, you need to verify that you did in fact get the right part for your set up. Just because your dealer says its the right one its not gospel. I ordered a bunch of parts two weeks ago, all off of the same microfiche and got them home and they didn't go together right, one was for a different model year so they do make mistakes even from the data they are given. I can say dealers hate pulling a tech to answer a phone call so you are better off taking your quad there and catching someone to take a quick look. I recommend getting the numbers off the engine block as it identifies the engine and try doing some research that way. Its not a serial number or anything like that it identifies the block. This will then let you know what you have. You might have a 230 bottom end you might not. If not you are a lucky one, I started out years ago racing a 250s but you are going to play hell trying to find parts for them now because they are pretty rare. I popped so many back shocks on that quad its not even funny. Great quads. Good luck.

Moto

Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

well thats what i thought too that the chain tensior is in! BUT ITS NOT and the chain is super tight....from what i understand they sent me the 230 chain? 51 links 102 pins? and i need 104 pins (they call them links) but i know for a fact i have the 250 bottom end because the longer stroke it has and as someone else(BigMC? i think) said to measure wirst pin hole and it was the correct one for the 250...so i know i have all 250 parts i just think the dealer messed up....thats all that could of happened right...ive doubled check all my work including the cam chain guides THANK YOU!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yes they do

Yes dealers make mistakes which usually sucks for the buyer because most items are special order. Post the part number off the chain you bought.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

welll that sucks.....because i threw the package away ahah this is no good