Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice looking Z90.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Z90...

On the LT80 front we ran out of time to complete everything. I still have to CNC the new handlebar mounts as well as the rear axle extensions. We began to restore the plastic and will finish later.

Our timeline had to have us loaded for Hatfield McCoy by last Thursday...MORNING...

Well, we fired up the machine for the first time Thursday...NIGHT...

It sounded AWESOME!!! The rear axle turned at idle which kinda surprised me...

Anyway, we only had the plastics sanded up to 600 grit but didn't have a choice and HAD to put it back on.

The DG pipe sounded fantastic but did melt the inside corner of the plastic (this pipe was on my other LT80 previously). The Teixiera axle extenders are designed nice and built solid. I did not have an issue mounting the pipe b/c it does not use the rear axle mounting point.

Now, the LT160 front end is NOT a direct bolt-in and no one ever answered me about this swap or sent photos. Use the LT160 shocks which are twice the size of the LT80's would have the A-arms rising up WAY too high!!! So, I took some general dimensions and fabricated some brackets to fit into the top shock mounts lowering the mount to push the A-arms back to a "normal" camber position. Even with these brackets the tires still camber in at the top but they look like a racer!

I still will remachine some new mounts in order to push the A-arms down further. I still want the wheels cambered in but not so much.

The LT160 rear shock JUST fit into the Tiexiera swingarm extension plates and there is a clearance issue with the DG exhaust pipe.

Ed over at Tiexiera Tech did tell me the plates can be easily welded so I am considering moving the shock mounting point but I believe it will cause clearance issues with the sides of the plates as right now there is a "cut-out" for the spring to fit in. An alternative is to buy a longer shock which I may do anyway as I need the rear of the frame to be raised and I believe I still have at least 1.5-2.0" of travel before the swingarm would be mechanically unable to travel any further.

If I get the gumption, I'll post some pics of this thing on here (and if I figure out how to do it...)

Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

Ok, I forgot to mention in all of the above post that the LT80 performed FLAWLESSLY at Hatfield McCoy over the weekend!!!

We built this as a trail machine and all the help and hard work paid off!!! The boy had ZERO problems climbing anything we wanted (mind you, we don't get crazy, either!!)...

He is now powersliding around corners and just had a FANTASTIC time!! The front-end stayed down thanks to the 1.5" of swingarm extension (the whole point of it) so that along with the 6" wider stance gave him so much more confidence!! He was NOT disappointed.

Thanks to Jack Moore for the help of reassembling the cases and all the previous motor work!!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

Here is a pic (if this works) of the front left a-arm and shock. You can see the upper shock mount I fabricated. I haven't even drilled the second hole yet for the bolt that goes next to the original shock mount bolt.

It is easy to see here the size difference from the LT160 shock/spring to the original LT80 shock/spring. Even with this bracket, the a-arms are not pushed away enough (front end sits a little lower than I'd like and the wheels have too much inward camber at the top). I will measure and fabricate new brackets to get the geometry I am looking for.

Attached Thumbnails LT80 mods & upgrades-pict0281.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi just got an lt 80 for my son.. been reading this thread with interest..

any more piccys???

pretty please.. the suspension looks awesome.

aj

Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Jack were are u based mate

Originally Posted by LT80
I don't know where to start..LOL
2K? where ya come up w/dat? Fully built motor and new Works shocks would be about 1300. Altho, If your like me, 1300 is like 2000. I'm broke too.
160 front end:: I'm worried about the extra weight on the front. I'm sure you've heard of the 300ex front conversion, most that buy the kit sell it just as fast. I've not considered it a good mod basically cuz of weight and we are still stuck with the motor being the swingarm, which limits some things suspension wise.
Anyways, the slip thing::Worries me too! What did the rollers/belt/rear clutch look like when you inspected/maintenenced the clutchs?
It could be a bad belt but they do last forever and a wore belt is best (IMO).
Head:Yes, milled. The motor will run more efficient w/more comp. Your jetting will be fine.You could drop to a 90 main.
Headlight, sorta, not enough charging. It will work but if you ride at night alot, you'll want a pull start. Some ppl get LED lights from autozone, they seem to like em and the LED's use little juice.
Tabs: I'll presume that non of the stock locations will work. Everything will need to be made.
Sprockets, stick with the 428 pitch (your 87's should be 428).12/13/14 front and 26 rear.
If I missed anything, let me know.
PM sent.
Good luck and have fun.
BTW, I think it's cool that it's a "family" build.
Intrested in letting you upgrade my son's old LT80 make it more responsive and quick on the throttle is this a possibility thanks Mike

Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Sure. Call or email.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt160 shock swap

I have already purchased a set of lt160 front shocks. I've read your thread here in its entirety and realize this is now 10 years old! Did you install the 160 shocks on the original a arms or the 160 a arms. I know you were talking about fabricating the whole 160 front end on. Side by side, the 160 shock is slightly longer, I'm just a little surprised with your results. I haven't installed them yet as I'm having the frame powder coated at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Garrett

works) of the front left a-arm and shock. You can see the upper shock mount I fabricated. I haven't even drilled the second hole yet for the bolt that goes next to the original shock mount bolt.

It is easy to see here the size difference from the LT160 shock/spring to the original LT80 shock/spring. Even with this bracket, the a-arms are not pushed away enough (front end sits a little lower than I'd like and the wheels have too much inward camber at the top). I will measure and fabricate new brackets to get the geometry I am looking for.[/QUOTE]