Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Homemade atv racks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tight-radius bender for 1/2" EMT (electrical metallic tubing) is 4-3/16" that is as tight as you'll get. I really wouldn't recommend 1/2" because when I put a bend on 1/2" EMT I can + or - it by hand, so it isn't much I tell ya. Way I look at it I haven't seen a factory steel rack that can't atleast be sat on even if it is only rated at say 60#. A similar rack from 1/2" EMT I guarantee would bend.

And welding EMT? Well you better be really good because most guys are gonna burn holes in it or ugly it real good.

Could go 3/4" EMT. A little thicker, welding may be a little more "do" able. A tight-radius in 3/4" is more like 6-1/2" but that may be too much radius for a rack.

If you are really set on making something I too would go with thinwall mild steel tubing and stay away from the electro (galv) coated EMT stuff.

Give some thought to pulling an existing rack off an old beater ATV and maybe just grinding off the existing mounts and either re-welding them to make them work or fabing something fresh to make it work.

PS The filling of tubing with sand is only done to facilitate the bending of the tubing without kinking it. It gives it internal support. Keep in mind when doing this the sand has to be encapsulated so it can't push out when the bend is applied.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is an old tread but does anyone have pics of any homemade racks they have build, i want to make one. thanks