Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

ltz400 vs 500 predator

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ltz400 vs 500 predator

hey just wondering how the ltz400 stacks up to the 500 predator in power speed and reliability i'm looking for a good powerfull quad but one that is reliable and not high maintance

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

Suzuki much more reliable.
Predator faster (stock) and better suspension (stock).

I have a 400 and my buddy has a predator. About the time I did enough work on the 400to hang with him in the whoops and get him dragging up the dunes he got a yfz450 with elka front and back with long travel arms and rear link. Had the basic bolt on motor mods as well.

I'm partial to the LTZ and with a couple simple mods it has plenty of power.
Needless to say

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Stock for stock the Predy vs older (Non EFI) 400 and a 660 Raptor will all be in about in the basic same boat but once you start modding these three machines the Predy will be lost in the dust. $ for $ the Z all the way!

Old 07-30-2010, 03:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never rode them but unless Off Road .com is complete liars they said.

Power The Predator 500 has plenty of it. All of our riders liked the power that it provided. The Predator easily smoked Z400s, beat stock Raptors, and would beat many piped and jetted Raptors depending on the weight of the rider.
Take it for what its worth.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Power is one thing suspension and handling are another!!!!! Dont see to many predators wining championships on the racetrack like the z400 has won!!! If you want a strait line race look at this vid plus the multiple ones on youtube a decide for yourself.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I had an 06kfx and my nephew had an 03 piped preddy. He could easily beat me running down a road. If that's what you're looking to do, you're looking at the wrong machines to begin with.

I know Polaris has done some major changes to the preddy, and it's a great improvement. Suzuki has done little with the z, and for good reason. Power wise, yes the preddy wins, everything else I'd give to the z. And modding definitely goes to the z. Way too many suppliers out there making it a buyers market for that.

Seems he was always turning a wrench a little more than I was too. He did blow the motor and broke the frame. Neither of those would I contribute to Polaris.

It really boils down to how much money you want to spend and what style of riding you're going to do.

I'd be looking really hard at the fuel injected z if I was in the market between just those two.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Power is one thing suspension and handling are another!!!!! Dont see to many predators wining championships on the racetrack like the z400 has won!!! If you want a strait line race look at this vid plus the multiple ones on youtube a decide for yourself.
If you get a TLD Preddy the suspension is head and shoulders above the Z.

I still vote Z for reliability and flexibility in the mods you can do to it. The fact that the new Z's are fuel injected makes it a non-issue. Suzuki all the way.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

If you are going to go as far as to get a TLD why stop there and get a 525 Preddy???? If I wanted a pure race quad why not step up to a 450 or even a 09 or newer Z with EFI that would be the true winner of this bunch!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

I own a 2006 LTZ and a 2007 Predator 500.
Two totally different quads, it really depends on what you want.

I had a friend on the predator and I was on the 440 (Big bore). Granted the tires were better on the predator... it was a tie. Here is what is on the LTZ. Pipe, Big Bore Kit, Uni Filter. The Predator is completely stock. I think if the LTZ had new tires, it would take the predator fairly easy.

I prefer the stability and reliability of the LTZ. But like the looks and performance of the Predator. With a few mods, the predator will beat the LTZ. Probably going to put a Big Bore kit in the Preddy next season.

Quick Reply: ltz400 vs 500 predator