Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 LT250R Recomendations for shocks and general upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your mix ratio needs to be 20:1 that is the factory setting your running to rich you will burn the piston rings up my old one was running that and it was smoking like crazy not getting enough power then i drained all the fuel all the oil changed it all and ran to 20:1 and it ran perfect that could be something to try if not let me know and i can help you out just built two of these from ground up and one of them was doing what yours is doing but it was an expensive replace hopefully that's not your case

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well its not blow yet, but you mean running lean? Why would more oil make it run from rich to perfect? Anyways you know i use fully synthetic, different than when the quad first came out. I think my carb float level is too high, gas randomly spills out the overflow, sometimes quite a bit too. I tried to make it stock height but it made it run even richer and worse. You think the misfires at high rpm could be fixed with proper oil ratio? Thanks, the bike is fun and can't wait to have running good!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Range Rover

srry bout tht i was thinking of someone elss promblem but ya it will run lean and im not for sure what it did but i think it was getting to much gas and not enough oil but it was a cheap try to do. and ya i use synthetic to in all mine ya it does sound like the float level if gas is comeing out the overflows alot the misfire could be the ratio also it could be where your carb is not feeding enough gas to it at high rpm. does it start to overflow when at low rpm? yes they are alot of fun. what kind of riding do u do?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't been able to do more than just test riding on open dirt road so that i can go through all the gears and see how it runs, but i plan on trail riding and maybe racing it but that is in the long run, trying to find a local mx track i can just ride it on. But first thing is getting it running, it flows out while the engine is off sometimes. It was actually idling until i rode it fast and no more idle. So i adjusted it after it stopped idling and it was leaking a little than. After the adjustment worse haha. I am bringing it to a shop, they said they will clean it and adjust it for 10$ so seeing they say it takes a tool, thats pretty cheap and their cleaner must be a higher grade than mine anyway. I was a;lso going to buy a carb rebuild for 13$ from them, comes with gaskets and jets and i think the needles. So after this i should rule out the carb right? And i tested it for air leaks praying wd-40 once i could get it sitting their with a constant rpm by itself. It did nothing to it, no rpm change at all. No air leaks. So once i do cab if thats not causing the miss fires than it must be electrical everything else should be good...

Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, the ratio you mix 2 stroke oil into the gas has little to do with the machine running rich or lean. The 20:1 stock recommended ratio is conservative, 32:1 will give just as much longevity. Your floats may be sticking, causing the overflow of fuel. Clean the float bowl out real well and see if that helps.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have, maybe my stuff is just not cutting it, i think its just set wrong, but could that cause miss fires?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Yes, it might. You definitely have an issue in the float bowl if it is leaking even sporadically. There is a rubber pyramid shaped seat in there that may need replacing too.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

ok let me rebuild that carb and get back to you all with results, after that i wanna ride haha if i ever wanted to race it would you have any tips, i need to ride a lot before that

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Range Rover

the mixing does have something to do with it running rich or lean. no offence to you scooter. but if you run it 32:1 you will notice it smokes alot more than it should for a 2 stroke and 20:1 will last your engine longer but 32:1 will get you up in going if your fine with it. but if your going to race it some tips would deffanitly be work with your handling as much as you can befor engin up grades thats what these dont have alot of is handling

Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

32:1 is 4 ounces oil/gallon of gas
20:1 is 6.4 ounces oil/gallon of gas

20:1 actually produces more smoke since it has a higher oil content. It is also going to run slightly leaner than 32:1 at the same jetting. Not much, not even enough to need to go up one main if it is jetted properly to begin with and that is assuming the oil adds nothing but piston/ring lubrication to the combustion process. I have run 50:1 before with no problems, but I kind of like the smell of high end 2 stroke oil being burned.

As for racing, I would have to say don't bother. The frames are weak and to wide in the front, limited suspension, need significant $$ invested to get the power up to 450 standards, etc. By the time you add up what it will cost to get it competitive, you could just pick up a used 450 mostly ready to go. It will serve to further your riding skills, and you could certainly enter a few races to see if that is something you would like to continue. The minute I got my stock Yamaha, the LT sat in the garage until I finally decided to sell it. They just don't compete well, but they are a kick in the pants to ride.

Quick Reply: 1985 LT250R Recomendations for shocks and general upgrades