Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230 shifting issues

Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by judas009
hey guys not trying to thread jack or anything but got a question for trailrider. i had to split my case to clean up a broken piston skirt. when i split the case some things fell out but i ut it all back together and it seemed to all fit back nicely. well now i got the case sealed again and im trying to go through the gears before mounting the engine and re assembling the top end. however it will not shift at all now. i noticed that when im shifting the cam driven gear on the side of the case just stops and wont move. its number 8 in the diagram: Rivamotorsports.com's 1985 Suzuki ATV LT-230GEF QUADRUNNER Parts List

im also a little unsure about how the mechanism on the side of the cover works also.(the piece that the shifter shaft is connected too when the cover is in place. So should i re split my case and then try to go through the gears or what could this possibly be?
honestly i only work on E models and S models. the GEF is out of my area of expertise.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im guessing mines the gef lol. the vin ran as e model from 85 but riva doesnt display an e model from 85 so i just bee using the gef

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well its been many months (almost a year) since I had these shifting issues and my quad has been sitting in the garage doing nothing besides being pushed around since. The last thing I was going to do was split the case and replace the clutch so I finally got around to unbolting the mounts but as I was trying to pull the engine out I realized that the chain was holding me up. As I was taking it off I realized that the bolt holding the chain sprocket on the engine side was really loose which got me thinking maybe my clutch wasnt the issue. I decided to put everything back to gether and give this a whirl before splitting the case and sure enough that was my "shifting issue". <- a loose sprocket bolt. Well now all I have to do is figure out how to adjust my carb as it doesnt want to stay started without feathering the throttle. Anyways off to search some forums for that issue....this one can finally have closure!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Trailblazer

I gotta say, that is pretty funny! As for the carburetor, just pull the float bowl off, and remove and clean the slow jet and main jet. The slow jet is probably partially clogged.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

I'm having some shifting issues with my 87 LT 230s. It will go down into first and only up into neutral. Will not go past N. I had it past N but could not get it back afterwards.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt230e shifting issue

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
honestly i only work on E models and S models. the GEF is out of my area of expertise.
Hi i have a lt230e 87 just put a wisco pisron in. And got it back together and it runs great. Only problem is its not going into gear. You can hear n feel it trying to go into gear but will not stay in gear. Was wondering if any one mine know the problem and how to fix it. Ive exhausted my knowledge!!!