Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

No start...Need some ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM
LDH
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start...Need some ideas!!!

This is my first post here. I'm having some major issues and I hope someone can give me a clue!
I've owned a 00' 500 Quadrunner since it was new, it's got 400 miles on it. It ran ok, I parked it, it sat for about a month. I noticed that oil filled the sight glass. (I've had this issue before) SO, I cleaned it out, charged the battery and tried to start it. Now all I get is a loud "Buzzing" sound from the starter relay when the buttons' pushed. I do have a factory manual for an 03' which gives some things to check, everything checks out fine! I bought a new relay anyhow, same dang thing. Both relay's still check out fine. I pulled the starter, bench tested fine. Connections are all good, no corrosion. I even pulled the CDI unit and the rectifier, still does it!! So, if anyone's got any ideas what i should do next, they would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading

Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a battery issue to me. If you cleaned all the terminals and charged the battery try jumping it off your car and see if that starts it. Also check your oil and see if it smells like gas, if the level is rising something is getting in there and that's not good.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
LDH
Weekend Warrior

Yes the battery is weak, but I have jumped it and it does the same thing. (I'm looking for a new one but the only place I can find is Interstate for $150) I was worried about leaving it connected to a car battery too long though... At the same time I jumped to the starter and it does turn over, same deal, didn't leave it connected but for a second or two! Terminals are clean and tight as well.
The gas in the oil has happened before, petcock is bad (Issue with this model) I changed the oil and filter 3 times and installed a shut-off this time!
I would use the pull start, but it pulls too hard! A few years ago the side case cover was leaking. I replaced it and ever since it pulls hard. With the plug out it's fine, don't get it, but it is what it is...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

If it turns over when you jump the starter then the solenoid would be my first guess but you said you already replaced that with a brand new one. It has to be a bad connection somewhere. I'd double check all the connections, paying extra attention to the grounds and look at all the wires to make sure you don't have a broken one or the insulation rubbed off somewhere.

Petcock shouldn't let the case fill up with fuel, if this is a carbureted engine then the needle valve must be sticking open or worn letting extra fuel run in or the float is out of adjustment. The shut off is a bandaid but I would still find the cause and fix it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Pull the sparkplug and see if it turns over with the starter.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 AM
LDH
Weekend Warrior

That's the plan. I'm in the process of pulling the plastic now. I'm not sure how the wires could go haywire just from sitting a month, but nothing's out of the question at this point! The only ground I've messed with is the one to the starter, just to pull the starter to check it.
It still does it w/ the plug out, CDI out, and rectifier out! Definately a head scratcher...
The solenoid was replaced w/ a factory one. They both check out ok; the continuity and resistance are both correct. Neutral relay too, fuses all good, no corrosion and all clean...
At this point a bandaid is better than nothing, I planned on giving it a tuneup, if I can get it running! Otherwise I might have some scrap to sell .

Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't scrap it just yet, lol. There's not too much that can go wrong, it's just a battery, solenoid, starter and the wiring between them. My wifes car started acting up once and needed jumped to start it. I was positive it was the battery (original battery and 6 years old) so I replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. Ended up being the starter. It needed more juice than the one battery could provide to turn it. Changed out the starter and never had another problem with it.

If you can access the starter try tapping on it with a hammer handle or something while hitting the start button and see if it turns over. Another thing you can try is pulling the starter apart and cleaning it out with contact cleaner, could be just the brushes are dirty. Most of them can be taken apart with 3 or 4 long bolts that run from one end to the other.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
LDH
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure it would be worth all that much in scrap!! Ah it's just getting a little fustrating because, as you said, there's not much that could go wrong!!
I will certanly try the "Love tap" on the starter. I did have it apart origanally, while waiting for the solenoid to get here and thinking it could be the starter too. It had just a slight glaze on the armature, wiped right off...
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep hunting...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM
LDH
Weekend Warrior

I figured out my problem... My battery was grounding out under a load. I used a load tester-it was pretty obvious what the problem was! Wish I wouldn't have spent all the time chasing nothing... Thanks again folks!!