Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2003 Eiger 400

Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Eiger 400

hi guys, I'm the new guy around here. Anyways i have a 2003 Eiger 400 that hasn't ran well in a year or so. The problems started when the rear break stopped working. After the break quit working it didn't get ridden as much and since has not been able to run any higher then an idle. When i give it some gas it'll die...so i guess im asking two questions, 1: Is there a common problem with rear brakes on these? 2: Any thoughts on the inability to run when under throttle?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is it bogging down when you're trying to throttle up? i'd say if it's been sitting a while, clean the carburetor. could also be a vacuum leak. but clean the carb first.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

have you checked the level of the DOT 4 brake fluid in the brake fluid reservoir? sorry i'm not real familiar with the Eiger. if it has disc brakes on the rear, have you pulled the rear caliper and tested it? you may need to top off the brake fluid and then bleed the brake system. just a thought....

Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Jaster, I just started taking it apart because i has spark but no fuel. Found it had bad gas in it and the fuel wasn't making it through the fuel selector switch at all, so thats why it wasnt starting at all anymore. I'm going to order a new one and if that doesnt fix the bogging/starting problem, i'll pull the carb and do a rebuild. I will check on the brake fluid, the brake handle is super lose for the rear brakes but extremely tough on the front brake side. The front brakes are disc the rear brakes are drum.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

drain the gas, take the petcock valve off of the tank along with the fuel hoses that feed the carb. if it has a fuel filter, replace it. blow air through them. do it on the petcock valve through "on" and on "res" for reserve. that way we know it's clean. have you cleaned a carb before on your atv? fuel selector valves can be real expensive. you may just try cleaning it out.
here's a couple of videos if you need them. i don't recommend using a drill for screws. now the carb is probably not identical to your carb, but the principle/concept is the same.

how to clean a carb on a ATV - YouTube

Cleaning a Snowmobile or ATV Carburetor - YouTube

now, on your brake cables, they should be adjustable. either an inline adjuster or maybe a spring/wingnut adjuster down at the brakes. unsure about the Eiger....sorry.....

Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, i took the fuel selector switch out and and found that when i pulled the gasket out i could blow air through both sides, but when the gasket was installed i couldn't. No i haven't cleaned my ATV's carb, but ive rebuilt them for sea doo's before. Okay, thats what i thought.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

so i pulled the carb out and the carb is all green on the inside! Kinda strange, so i'll begin the cleanout next weekend when im back home.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

is it a hard crust or is it slimy? let us know how it goes!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kinda crusty, im going to try and finish up the cleaning process today using some carb cleaner and then put the new peacock valve in and see if she'll start up. I know something was wrong with the peacock valve because it wasnt flwing any gas through it. Hard to start with no gas lol.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I put the carb back together and the new peacock valve in and I'm still not getting any gas. The plugs as dry as when I bought it. The gas is making it through the peacock valve because when I pull the hose off that runs from the bottom of the valve to te carb it's full of gas. So it seems like the gas isn't making it through the carb. Any ideas on what to do next?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Eiger 400