Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 Suzuki 230 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Suzuki 230 clutch

Ok I will point out that I am a newbie with 4 wheelers.. I have search the forums to see if someone else had my issue and I havent been able to find anything.

First off let me tell you what happened.
When I bought this bike about a month ago, the guy before me decided to take it all apart and repaint it, after he did that he put it back together, and to no surprise he didnt tighten the chain right, so it came off and took out the cover. So this smart guy put a new engine in and when he ran the clutch cable, he ran it under the exhaust to where it was touching it. I didnt notice that he did that until I noticed that it was starting to burn the cable sleeve. So I started disconnecting the clutch pionion and acidently pulled it out. I put it back in and thought that I had it in right and rerouted the cable the correct way. I then decided to ride up to the gas station so I could put slime in one of my rear tires, but on the way I was noticing that it didnt feel like the clutch was engaging all the way, so I turned around and went back to my house, right when I got into the driveway, I accidently killed it and heard a pop noise. I drained the oil and took off the cover and noticed that a couple teeth broke off the pinion. and on the pressure plate, right where that (forgot the name) comes out the pressure plate to connect to th e pinion it had came off the plate. As soon as I get a chance ill provide pictures to give more of an idea. But, I went and ordered all the parts from the pressure plate and out.

So what I'm trying to get help with is when I am installing it back together, do I need to pay extra attention to anything when putting it back together? Any tips with doing it? Could I have messed up anything else in the process of when I broke the pieces? On the clutch pressure plate, is theiri a certain torque for nuts and springs? I have a manual but I didnt see a torque, but on the forums it said something about 8ft pounds torque.

Thank you.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

I also just ordered some VERSA Clutchs to replace those ones.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the quad. Its a very good quad. Make sure you change the oil and filter too. Check the swingarm for play also, which is probably the cause of the chain being thrown. I recommend a case saver also for the engine. Torque to 7 pounds, which should be good. Over torque just a little bit on these bolts can pretty much snap them. If you feel the bolt start to make noise, pull it out, its about to break. Make sure you have the kickstart gear aligned when you put the cases back together.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

I can also tell that one of the bolts have been replaced, you should buy an oem bolt for the one that was replaced.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomgodair
I recommend a case saver also for the engine.

Where can you find these?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

OEM Parts Suzuki LT230S 1987 TRANSMISSION - Cheap Cycle Parts
Part number 65 at the bottom

But I would probably recommend this one, its $5 more, but its from the lt250s, which has the same cases so it will fit, but everything on the lt250s is improved alot and the case saver looks like it has been improved alot in the picture at the top for the lt250s.
OEM Parts Suzuki QuadSport (LT250S) 1989 TRANSMISSION - Cheap Cycle Parts

Part number 56

Look at the pictures to see what I am talking about in the difference between the two, I would recommend the lt250s cases saver.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomgodair
OEM Parts Suzuki LT230S 1987 TRANSMISSION - Cheap Cycle Parts
Part number 65 at the bottom

But I would probably recommend this one, its $5 more, but its from the lt250s, which has the same cases so it will fit, but everything on the lt250s is improved alot and the case saver looks like it has been improved alot in the picture at the top for the lt250s.
OEM Parts Suzuki QuadSport (LT250S) 1989 TRANSMISSION - Cheap Cycle Parts

Part number 56

Look at the pictures to see what I am talking about in the difference between the two, I would recommend the lt250s cases saver.

Okay, i have the one in the first link already. If I'm not mistaken it came with my engine, and the one time that my chain came off, it didn't appear to do much of anything to keep it from busting the engine.

I'll order the other one, and give it a shot.

Thanks for the links.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I personally don't own it, but it looks alot better. It looks beafier too. I made my own cases saver. I have pics somewhere in this thread, but I can get more pics in two weeks if you like. I posed about an lt250s clutch in the big thread and it being a performance upgrade, I didn't see that you already bought new clutch plates. Stick with the new clutch plates, they will probably be better than an lt250s used clutch.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default .

Thanks much for replying. I did get a new k&n oil filter and some 4 stroke motor cycle oil for the bike.. Yeah I noticed that bolt being replaced to, i was thinking this guy (previous owner) liked to redneck things together. I think it might have a guard for the chain already but I am not sure, I will post a picture of the piece that I am thinking about. When I did pull of the cover the kick starter pieces did fall out... do the ends that the grove, not teeth, line up? or should the teeth be touching at all times? and when I go to hook back up the clutch cable, should there be a hair slack in the line? I fear that I might of had it a little to tight when I broke the piece last time.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

Oh and how to check the swing arm for play? By shaking the back end ? lol. Ill post pictures here in a bit too.

Quick Reply: 1985 Suzuki 230 clutch