Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTZ-50 Excessive Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ-50 Excessive Fuel

My daughters Suzuki started running poorly last year. I've finally started pulling it apart. It will idle fine, but as soon as any throttle is applied it will cut in and out.

I took the air cleaner apart, and gas started draining out of the air cleaner assembly. I would say that 1/3 of the air filter was completely saturated with fuel.

This isn't correct, so I would appreciate any suggestions? I assume I'm going to be giving some attention to the carb.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Originally Posted by vetteboy86
My daughters Suzuki started running poorly last year. I've finally started pulling it apart. It will idle fine, but as soon as any throttle is applied it will cut in and out.

I took the air cleaner apart, and gas started draining out of the air cleaner assembly. I would say that 1/3 of the air filter was completely saturated with fuel.

This isn't correct, so I would appreciate any suggestions? I assume I'm going to be giving some attention to the carb.

Thanks,
Craig
Clean or replace the needle/seat acc. Make sure there is not fuel in the float. Double check the float height.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep, Time for a good carb cleaning.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you both for your replies.

Is this something that is common? I realize that things happen, but it does have low hours.

Is there a publication that would walk me thru this process? I did order a factory service manual, which I would think would be sufficient. I have seen technical articles that are very well written when it comes to processes like this one.

My main concern is not being able to identify bad components once I have taken the carb apart.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Once the carb is removed, you remove the bottom. It's commonly called the bowl.
Next you will see is what's called the float. Where the float pivots, there is a pin. Remove the pin. This will allow the float AND needle to be removed. The needle hangs on a lil tab on the float. This tab (if metal) can be slightly bent to adjust the float height.
Where the needle sits is called the needle seat. The needle/seat may have gunk on it not allowing the needle to stop the fuel flow.

You also will remove and clean both the jets.
Look at a suzuki dealers parts fiche. It'll explain what parts are what.

Clean all well and re-assemble.

IMO, the machine sitting tells it all. Gas is crappy and sitting makes the varnish that can cause this exact problem.
I Sta-Bil everything these days and I think most all ATV'rs should also to help eliminate this type of problem.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great post. Thanks. I never thought about the varnish or effects from the quad having low hours. I should have the service manual tonight or tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

My service manual came. I disassembled the carburetor. I'm going to pick up some carb cleaner tomorrow. I didn't notice anything that looked dirty. Would I notice varnish?

I inspected the needle valve seat per the service manual. It appears to be within spec, but I'm leaning towards replacing it. Does this have any merit?

Also, I was curious about the fuel valve. When the fuel valve is in either of the PRI positions, fuel flows freely. When the valve is in in the ON position fuel doesn't flow freely.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

It's a vaccum operated petcock.
On is off till there is vaccum made (motor turns over).

Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased a rebuild kit from my local suzuki dealer. It was $29.99 and includes the bowl gasket, o ring, all jets, and needle valve.

I'm going to reassemble but was wondering if brake cleaner could be used as a cleaner. For some reason I have that stockpiled but no carb cleaner.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the carb. I purchased a rebuild kit and used all new parts.

Now I have a no start condition. If I shoot starting fluid into the carb the quad will run. I took the carb back off and the needle valve and float seem to be working correctly as there was fuel in the bowl. I took out the main jet and the pilot jet. There are no obstructions. I did not replace the o ring between the carb and intake tube. I was told by the dealer that the rebuild kit contained this item but it did not. The factory service manual requires changing this. I'm wondering if I have a vacuum leak and there isn't enough air moving thru the carb

Also, should the quad start with the air cleaner removed? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: LTZ-50 Excessive Fuel