Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2002 Eiger 400 carb problems

Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. You have a compression tester? I would check the compression. If that is good (130 to 150ish), and you've ruled out a fuel delivery problem, then it might be electrical.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, now that I'm home with the carb I noticed the pilot screw is 5 turns out instead of the factory 1-7/8s and the choke needle assy is missing the oring. Could these be the source of my problems?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I'm assuming you mean the air/fuel mixture screw? Yeah, if it's that far out, that would certainly affect your idle. Not sure about the o-ring. Put one in there and see how she runs.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RonV
I'm assuming you mean the air/fuel mixture screw? Yeah, if it's that far out, that would certainly affect your idle. Not sure about the o-ring. Put one in there and see how she runs.
But would that keep the quad from reving up to full throttle?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Are you talking under load?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you talking under load?
No, in nuetral. The quad starts up, with difficulty, runs but sputters and pops. When I hit the throttle it revs up to about 1/3 - 1/2 speed and stays there. It wont really run in gear at all.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Just a few ideas:

I wonder if the vacuum is not working on the top side of the carb, which might not be pulling upward and pulling up the jet needle. Not sure how you'd check that other than to check the rubber diaphram and make sure there were no tears or cracks in it. And physically pull slide upward to make sure it goes up and down freely.

I always like to make sure I have good compression before trouble shooting this stuff. Do you have a tester to borrow? Or, you can buy one cheap enough at Harbor Freight.

If the carb is working, you have good compression, then you need to make sure you're getting air (should not be the problem) and fuel. Is the petcock working? Try running it in the "PRI" or prime position on the petcock - that will give you free flowing fuel.

Rule those issues out, and it could be electrical.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a few ideas:

I wonder if the vacuum is not working on the top side of the carb, which might not be pulling upward and pulling up the jet needle. Not sure how you'd check that other than to check the rubber diaphram and make sure there were no tears or cracks in it. And physically pull slide upward to make sure it goes up and down freely.

I always like to make sure I have good compression before trouble shooting this stuff. Do you have a tester to borrow? Or, you can buy one cheap enough at Harbor Freight.

If the carb is working, you have good compression, then you need to make sure you're getting air (should not be the problem) and fuel. Is the petcock working? Try running it in the "PRI" or prime position on the petcock - that will give you free flowing fuel.

Rule those issues out, and it could be electrical.
Thanks, this is good. I was wondering about the needle myself. I will try running it at WOT and checking to see if the vacuum is working and pulling the needle up. Where does it pull vacuum from?

If I cant get her running this weekend, I will trailer her back home, whcih should help a lot.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found a compression tester that my son gave me when he moved, so Im in business!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure you test it with the throttle wide open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Eiger 400 carb problems