Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2002 Eiger 400 carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Eiger 400 carb problems

My Eiger 4x4 got sick and finally died. Good compression and spark so I rebuilt the carb. Seemed easy to an old muscle car guy. Put the carb on and the atv only runs with the choke on. Idle screw has no effect and throttle only revs up about 1000 RPM. So the carb does seem to be the problem but this old muscle car guy hosed up the rebuild somehow.

ATV is 300 miles away from me and I will be going back on June 17th. Looking for someone to properly rebuild this carb for me and get it back to me by then.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

If anyone can idemtify what I did wrong from this description, that would also be great!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have junk in the main jet. Mine acts exactly like that when the main jet is clogged or partially clogged. As soon as you hit the throttle, it falls on its face. Take er back apart.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RonV
Sounds like you have junk in the main jet. Mine acts exactly like that when the main jet is clogged or partially clogged. As soon as you hit the throttle, it falls on its face. Take er back apart.
OK took her back apart. I think I swapped the starter jet for the main jet when I put her back together. I assume the main jet is the one with the bigger hole? The starter jet has the tiny hole?

If thats it, you may have saved me 400 bucks on a new carb!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

yes. The main jet is a bigger 1. I don't know if you could screw in the pilot jet into where the main just go but it might be possible. the only other thing that I can think of, is that maybe you did not put the jet needle back in properly and it is not pulling up. pictures of what you got going on with certainly help.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes. The main jet is a bigger 1. I don't know if you could screw in the pilot jet into where the main just go but it might be possible. the only other thing that I can think of, is that maybe you did not put the jet needle back in properly and it is not pulling up. pictures of what you got going on with certainly help.
Ther are two jets. The main jet and something called the starting jet. The pilot jet is different, with a tube attached but the main and the starting are the same except for the size of the hole. I had the tiny holed one in the main jet and the bigger holed one in the starting jet. I dont want to tkae it apart agin for fear of messing up that rubber bowl gasket, but Im feeling pretty confident now.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Brownwood
Ther are two jets. The main jet and something called the starting jet. The pilot jet is different, with a tube attached but the main and the starting are the same except for the size of the hole. I had the tiny holed one in the main jet and the bigger holed one in the starting jet. I dont want to tkae it apart agin for fear of messing up that rubber bowl gasket, but Im feeling pretty confident now.
Ok, hopefully you are on the right path. It is the original carb, no? If so, it's a CV carb, which isn't the most responsive carb, but they are fairly easy to tune, and once dialed in, they generally run pretty consistent. Keep us posted and good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, hopefully you are on the right path. It is the original carb, no? If so, it's a CV carb, which isn't the most responsive carb, but they are fairly easy to tune, and once dialed in, they generally run pretty consistent. Keep us posted and good luck.
Yes, it seems to be original as it matches my service manual exactly. Hopefully I am on the right track. I am working a deal on a cheap 93 Polaris 250 as a backup to my Eiger. I use the Eiger on my w Texas ranch so a backup for little more than a new carb would cost seemed like a good idea. That will give me some breathing room on fixing the Eiger. Its hard when you only have one weekend every 4 to 6 weeks to try to fix it. Makes it a long process!

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Your main jet should be 128, you can read the numbers on the side of the jet. Get a air compressor with a spray nozzle an shoot 100 psi through each jet once there out. What elevation is the quad at?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by treveiger
Your main jet should be 128, you can read the numbers on the side of the jet. Get a air compressor with a spray nozzle an shoot 100 psi through each jet once there out. What elevation is the quad at?

OK, I tried to read the numbers but they were so small my old eyes couldnt read em. I will try again. Its pretty close to sea level and the quad ran well before the carb went south, at least for what i use it for. I use it more like a tractor for hauling feed, discing, planting and dragging a brush mower around.

Quick Reply: 2002 Eiger 400 carb problems