Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Gust Racing a Suzuki at the GNC Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 07:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was suprised when I heard Doug Gust was going to be racing a quad with the Suzuki DRZ motor at the nationals this year. And I thought he would only be riding it in the 4-stroke pro-am class but he did race it in the pro class against all the 250R's and YZ426 quads. He won the 1st moto but had a DNF in the 2nd moto due to an oil line coming loose. I heard he was leading the 2nd moto until it broke down so this thing has to be fast!

I wonder if this decision to race a
Suzuki motored quad has anything to do with the rumor of the new sport model from Suzuki? I thought (hoped) that maybe Suzuki was using Gust and TC Racing to develop the quad but that is highly unlikely. Especially since Gust's quad has a full aftermarket chassis that Suzuki would never mass produce. I have never ridden a Suzuki, but am hopeful they do come out with a high performance oriented quad instead of another heavy, mild mannered "sport" quad.

Old 03-22-2001, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Don't let "BarryManilow/GaryManilow" see this... I've argued with him on a couple occasions about this engine.

Some peoples' unwillingness to objectively look at the facts amazes me. There seems to be a lot of that in these forums - guess that's why I don't visit/post much anymore....

Old 03-22-2001, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

Gabe,
I have decided not to argue at all on this forum (not that I did much anyway). There is way too much childish behavior and unsubstantiated claims and I refuse to be part of it. I also get frustrated and will be spending way less time on here once the weather warms and I can actually start riding again. But... I would hate to lose your input since it is some of the most helpful and factual on the board. And you can even write and use punctuation, another rarity.

Old 03-23-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I did not see this topic already posted and just posted a similar topic about Gusts machine. Have a nice day

Old 03-26-2001, 11:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

gust is racing a walsh racecraft around that 440 suzuki,,look for "big Bad Angela" to have one in the pro-am TT's,suzuki dont have a thing to do w/it GO TEAM GUST AND MOORE!!!!!

Old 03-28-2001, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I am 15 and I can spell/write better than most of these people!When I very first started coming here(under a different name)I was terrible.But someone(treefarmer I think)Made a suggestion that I brush up on the old writing skills.So I did.

Also If you do a search on my name You will never find me fighting or bashing with anybody.At one time (as all of you guys know)This furom was terrible in the bashing department.It was crazy to see a post about oil filters turn into My qaud is better than yours and yours sucks.

About the new suzuki racer.I think it is great.I can't wait to see a pic of it.Does anybody know the hp compared to the YZF426?I think that what ever doug gust races though he will have a shot at winning!

86 trx250r
97 300ex

www.angelfire.com/me3/fmf86trx250r

Old 03-28-2001, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

You spelled forum and quad wrong. Also, my quad is faster than yours! Hehe

Old 03-28-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

That pesky quad.I can never remember what is first a or u.I guess U.Furom was just a typo.I do get alot of those but I ussually try and edit them.

And no your quad is a piece of junk and mine isn't haha.LOL not really "all qauds are created equal.except broken one's"

Old 03-29-2001, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Uh oh, I did see it.Objectivly look at facts? All of the ATV technology or future ATV technology comes from dirt bikes and I am well versed in dirt bikes.The DRZ Gabe, already exists, so anything I have said is written in stone.I have provided proof that what I say is fact and if you would like I will provide it again.I am just being honest with myself and where the market is and has taken itself.I will not give credit where it isn't due.An electric start,reverse equipped DRZ motored quad will not be a racer, plain and simple.Its not an argument or "flame" take the blinders off and be painfully honest.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I am fairly well versed in bikes myself... I started my riding career on them 21 years ago. I currently own three as well as two 3wheelers and one quad.

The magic button is the way of the future whether you like it or not.

For a "non-racer" my 400EX has done pretty well so far. I have yet to place worse than 3rd in an event on it, and haven't placed worse than 1st in my class (or worse than 2nd overall) and have taken the overall at several events since around July (yes, I have raced many events thru the winter) and yes, even against the mighty 250R...

On the line at dead engine start events, the magic button gets the holeshot almost every time. On the trail, if you kill it rounding a tight corner, up a steep, technical hill climb, etc - many times it can be restarted without even rolling to a stop - all without expending an ounce of energy. It may have a weight disadvantage, but it's not that significant on a quad that already weighs 300lbs +. Ever kicked a big thumper or high compression big bore 2 stroke after riding as hard as you can for an hour and a half? You just might change your feelings toward the modern wonders of electricity.....

On the DRZ, I've posted a lot of facts concerning this engine - you choose not to look at them. I've seen DRZ's race, I've seen DRZ's get the holeshot, I've seen them out accelerate other bikes in their class. No, they're not MX'rs - but MX only encompasses a small (but highly publicized) part of the full racing scene & they weren't developed to be MX racers. The DRZ is every bit as capable an engine as the Yamaha WR.

Now that said, THE ONLY reason a DRZ engined machine wouldn't be as much a racer as any other stock 400EX, 250R, LT250R, Banshee, or Raptor is if Suzuki hosed the chassis.

I guarantee if Suzuki doesn't hose the chassis you will see it winning events just like you see the 400EX doing right now - on the consumer level - of course the PROs are going to use the lightest, trickest, most expensive stuff they can, hence the 250R's they run.

If you'd like to see some interesting results, goto the MO HS series website.

Check 4 stroke B and 2 Stroke B lap times. Dem 4 strokes do purdy good for being "non-racers". And don't think for a minute that the "A Open" or even "AA" classes don't include competitive EX's. Results were the same last year as well and aren't limited to this series.

Stop reading the magazines and go out into the real world.....

Quick Reply: Gust Racing a Suzuki at the GNC Nationals