Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt80 (new to me) help, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 (new to me) help, Part II

Gentlemen,

I was joined 8 months ago, asked a question and had MUCH success. Since then, my '01 lt80 has been flawless... THANK YOU!!!

Part II-
I just purchased a 2005 lt80 for my 5 year old this week (the previous lt80 has been thrashed by my 8 year old for nearly a year- NO PROBLEMS!!!!

QUESTION:
"New LT80" bought used. Started right up, but VERY LOW rpm. Kind of "bogs" once on the throttle. At high rpms, FINE...

FIX:
Stripped carb, cleaned, new plug. Once i am in the air filter, I noticed a "mossy, moldy" growth on the air filter. I mean, OMG, I NEVER saw this except on a petri dish... dirt, mold, i have no idea how air flowed AT ALL!

BOUGHT:
new air filter, replaced and cleaned air intake (stock).

Here's where it gets TRICKY...

Put it all back together... Started right up--- Fired immediately, rpms normal (I have the '01 as a benchmark)... Drove it up and down the road for about 5 min or so. AWESOME. I'm thinking, "Damn, this LT80 guy I read about doesn't have such a tough gig... These things are cake."

PROBLEM:
After my warm-up/cool down, it's idling in the driveway and it starts to sputter again- I gotta give it some gas to get going. I think- Oh SH*T! Drive it again for another 5 min... No problems...
Back at idle as my 5 year old is strapped in his helmet... Starts to sputter again at idle...

SO!!! He's pissed. Can't drive his "new to him" quad... Most of his driving is low rpm...

FACTS:
Runs fine at 30% throttle on up to WOT
DOES fire right up on cold starts
on warm starts, requires a bit of nudging to start (once it stalls)
just got rooked for $1000??? Machine is mint "looking"...

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE???

Please put a SMILE on my 5 year old's face...

I thank you all in advance!!!

Carl

Old 10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"Damn, this LT80 guy I read about doesn't have such a tough gig... These things are cake."
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boy....This is a tough one. I better think on it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................Ok..Done thinking.........................Sorry, ya know I had to.. LOL
I think fuel is going by the needle and flooding it.
You give it throttle allowing the air in and it runs.
Better check the float needle/seat again.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

OK... So it ain't that easy... Thought you were milking it all these years (lol)

Is there an adjustment I can make to the tabs on the float/needle tab? Don't think so, but if anyone knows- it's YOU.

Just took it for a spin in the dark (scary). Same damn thing. Why the hell do I try to keep doing the same things expecting different results? Insanity...

In your opinion, should I try to remove that crappy rubber boot in the carb? I see you mentioned it previously. I'm gonna go back in and take it off of you say yes.

How about I fly you in and you can just take care of it? Lmao.

Thanks again, you may or may opt know how many marriages you have saved. Mine X 3 already.

Thanks,

Carl

Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Carl, Yes, I don't use that rubber boot. I've found that it can be crushed if installed incorrectly when the bowl is put on which will cover the jet.
Some years LT's did have a steel tab on the float. I've heard of ppl adjusting that and working.
On page 3 is explains that you shouldn't have to..LOL j/k
I'm always up for a road trip...

Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Awesome! I'll give it a shot late tonight. That doesn't work, expect a plane ticket coming your way for next week. Thanks and ill let you know how it pans out. Really appreciate the help!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

LT80!!! So it took me 2 days to get to it...

I took carb off, had an old rebuild kit laying around, took boot off, replaced needle and idle jet.

Fired her up. OMG! That was it!

Just got back from pissing the neighborhood off. Still idling the way it Should be.

I can't thank you enough! I may have to go with my original statement, "Man, this LT80 guy doesn't have such a tough gig. These things are cake!"

Nah, I take it back. You are THE MAN!!!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Carl

Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'll unpack. I had my new Trip Adviser badge on the bag and everything ...

LMAO

Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

The Trip Adviser badge got me laughing... You are more than welcome to repack and head out here to help me tackle my 05 BruteForce 650... Starting tonight... Smack in the middle of the hurricane. Figure, why not? nothing else going on...

Just a forethought... How familiar are you with those???

Thanks yet again!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The 650 is a Kawasaki (I think) and has 4 wheels (I'm sure)........hehe, not alot more than that, sorry.
I always start with the basics: does it have spark, compression, and fuel. A carb cleaning is almost mandatory to start with. Valve clearance may be the next step.
I've seen mouse nests in the snorkles and air filter area. Silencer plugged?
Good luck with that.

I might as well be in the eye of the storm with you. It's going to blow enough yuck up my way to shut my business down for a few days I'm sure.
What was your pay pal password again? <EG> j/k

Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

See... I knew you were a brilliant individual... YES it is a 650 and YES it had 4 wheels...

Gonna tear it down, clean carbs, mess w the valves, clean the air filters, then my plan is to work the message boards to see why the hell I screwed something up and how to fix my mess...

PayPal password is :LT80rocks

Good luck w the storm. We are teachers out here and they closed schools for a while so I have a bunch of time to goof off in the garage...

Hope the storm is easier on you than I have been... Good Luck and thanks!!!