Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Convert recoil start to electric start on LT80

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert recoil start to electric start on LT80

I have a 2006 LT80 and my kids love it. So I just bought another one that seems older, maybe late 80's early 90's and it has a recoil start. It all set for an electric start, with the actual starter button and battery. Is it possible to convert this to an electric start? And if so, what would the procedure be like. Any help with this would be helpful, not sure my kids are going to be able to handle the recoil just yet. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

It should be electric already. Stand it up and look at the front of the motor starter should be there. If its not there would be a hole there.

If the starter is there its either going to be the relay or The fuse both located under the seat. Or the starter is shot. Cheap on ebay for a new chinese one.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, its there. I bought it today from a guy who had it for almost 10 years and said it didn't have an electric start. It didn't make sense to me why it would have a battery then. The starter looks like a beast to get to. Hopefully, its the fuse or the relay. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, where is the relay located? I assume this acts or same as a starting solenoid?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its not the easiest thing to chang I had to undo a lot of things to get mine out.

Battery is toast obviously if its been in there 10 years.

Take a pair of jumper cables and a good battery and try to jump it see if it cranks.
Just the fuse and see if its blown just a regular blade fuse easy to get.

If the fuse is good and you have battery the relay will click whenu push the starter button if it does there is 4 wires that connect to the relay pull the 2 thick ones one is red and red and white I believe with battery power tap them to each other and see if the starter cranks this is eliminating the relay.

If it does nothing probably the starter

Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pull the seat off you will find a bunch of wiring. There is a relay and a fuse holder probably tucked beside the battery

Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips. I'll work the diagnostics this weekend. I'm sure i'll be back with more questions. On a completely different not, I have a 2008 lt80 that seems to blow alot of white smoke. I know its a two stroke, but seems heavy even for that. It also has a loss of power or torque at start up. Once it gets rolling, it seems to have tons of power. I'm thinking dirty carb? I've only had this one about 2 weeks.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

White smoke usually means water but its air cooled so its not water issue. What 2 stroke oil are you using is it designed for atv/bikes. Not all 2 stroke oils are created equal I am told. I personally run yamalube in all my bikes now. Also are you premixing or is it still injected?

First thing I would do is clean the air filter and the carb and see how it runs then. Don't use anything through the jets can make them bigger easily I would just use some carb cleaner and compressed air and clean all passages main jet and needle jet. Clean any junk out of the float bowl.

When I had no power at idle and start up it was because my rear clutch was shot and stuck on I needed to replace it then it worked great.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

ya, clean carb/filters/and do clutch maintenance.
Your 2008 LT80 is not a 2008. The last year for the LT80's was 2006.

The guy put a recoil on cuz something is messed up. Try providing a 12 volt source and touch it to the wire that goes to the starter.

Quick Reply: Convert recoil start to electric start on LT80