Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

carb problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced everything exempt the float itself an it was an oem replacement I got it to run and idle but it was doggie idk I'm about to just take it to the shop

Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

When you put the bowl back on the carb you have to make sure your float is not getting hungup on anything because if your float is riding high it will allow more fuel into the bowl which inturn has fuel run over. Just make sure the float is low bud.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

I've done that also I had to bend it down just a little but it stops parallel with the carb

Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by trober_603
I replaced everything exempt the float itself an it was an oem replacement I got it to run and idle but it was doggie idk I'm about to just take it to the shop
Don't forget to take a jar of vaseline when you go

Originally Posted by trober_603
I've done that also I had to bend it down just a little but it stops parallel with the carb
The floats aren't that sensitive. Just set it so it looks sorta parallel and it should be good enough.

Me and a buddy fooled around with floats on a 660 raptor trying to fix a carb problem. I was out test riding it doing donuts and thinking it was running pretty good while he was jumping up n down screaming at me to stop. When I rode up to see what he was on about, he pointed out the glowing red header pipes.

The only time I mess with floats is when its sucking the bowl dry (like the raptor) from some kind of upgrade I did to the engine.

Your problem has to do with the pilot jet and mixture screw. By the time you adjust the floats to fix that problem, you won't have enough gas left in the bowl to drive normally. Put the old pilot back in. Sounds like the new jet is too big.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Ya yesterday it was blowing an *** load of blue smoke out but after I put the e clip higher on the throttle jet it helped but still runs bad ill have to put the old pilot jet back in tomorrow and the mixture screw didn't even seem like it was doing much

Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You have to turn the idle speed down, then the mixture screw will matter.

Turn the speed down, set the mixture until it revs its highest, turn the speed down, repeat, repeat. If you find the screw is going all the way tight, your pilot is too big. If the screw is going more than 3 turns out, your pilot is too small.

Look at the needles too. They may be different. Its impossible for carb kit companies to get everything right. There are too many different combos for the same engines.

Look at this page https://sites.google.com/site/suzuki...-s/carb-tuning

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

I've vertically put all of the old stuff back in it but it'll idle smooth but it cuts out at any rpm obove idle then when it falls back to idle it'll race up a little then either idle or eventually die

Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like your floats may be set wrong and you don't have enough gas in the bowl. Or maybe you have the needle clip on the wrong spot. Either way, its running lean.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Took the bowl off and it was about 3/4 full! Should be plenty and I have it on the third notch

Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Even if you turned the gas off, the gas in the line drained into the bowl when you lowered it to look. Did you set the float like the link said?

Quick Reply: carb problems...