Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need smaller 4WD ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need smaller 4WD ATV.

Wife and I bought a two seat Polaris 550 EPS last year so we could explore the Tahuya Forest in western WA. We went with a 2-up as she had very little experience with ATV's and insisted on power steering as the steering on the Can-Am 400 we used in MN was way too stiff for her. We enjoy taking turns driving through the woods but there is one problem; it is too wide for some of the bridges crossing the streams. All of the bridges have warning signs to stay on the trail so we have to turn back when coming to any of the bridges that are only 48" wide. Other bridges are wider so not all of the wet areas and lakes are off limits to our ATV.

We're looking into getting a small Polaris 200 for my wife as she thinks she can handle it without power steering. She is a small, 4'7" Thai woman. I'm looking at getting a smaller ATV with a max width of 46" or possibly a Honda TR200 Fat Cat.

Looking at what is out there, I'm thinking of a Suzuki King Quad 400. It is narrow enough and has 4WD. While it is much heavier than a 400cc 2wd sport ATV, I think I'll need the 4WD in some areas especially the muddy parts.

What do you guys here think of 2WD vs 4WD on narrow and muddy trails? Would the lighter 2WD ATV's be at much of a disadvantage?

Any suggestions for a smaller ATV with 4WD that is 46" wide or less?

Thanks.

Ranb

Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

My outlander Max XT 650 is only 46" wide I think all the XT lineup as well as the more econcomical L series outlanders are 46" wide

Old 02-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I should have mentioned that I want smaller as in narrower and lighter/cheaper. I'm currently hauling my ATV around on a Ford Ranger 2WD with a manual transmission; 1620 lbs towing capacity. I can put a small ATV on my little trailer and a slightly larger one in the bed.

The Outlander Max will be too heavy and expensive. That is why I'm looking for the smallest 4WD ATV.

Ranb

Old 02-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha Kodiak (or is it Grizzly) 350 IRS/EPS. Brand new in Canada was under $6000 this summer.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you wanted a smaller, lighter 4x4 and you would consider something used, a Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 would be a great choice. Its smaller and lighter than any other 4x4 atv currently built. Yamaha doesn't build them anymore, I think they were only made from 2006-2010. Can probably find a nice used one for about $3000. Its similar to a Can Am Renegade or Polaris Scrambler but smaller and lighter, a sport 4x4. I think it would be a good choice for a smaller rider who wants something with 4x4 capability.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Are you sure you need 4wd ? I ride down some muddy narrow trails and sometimes never hit the 4wd button once. It will spin less in 4wd but not stop.

I have a 4wd 350 Grizzly/Bruin and ride my friends 2wd 350 and I can tell you the 2wd version steers easier and feels lighter in the front due to not having all the front drive train components the 4wd version has. Even when mine is in 2wd mode its not the same lighter steering feel as a 2wd model.
A 2wd sport ATV is not the same as a 2wd Utility ATV do to their much lower ground clearance due to their smaller wheels and low slug rear drive chain sprocket.

Some times a 2wd ATV comes along and get stuck here and there but a little bump in the back by a 4wd is enough to get it going again.

My first ATV was a 250 Yamaha 2wd Moto4 and it seldom needed help to keep up with the 4wd on our fishing/Camping trips, but I did put aggressive 25" rear tires on it which sure save me a few times.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could probably buy something like a Honda Recon honestly. Put some more aggressive tires on the back and it will go through a lot. They're only 2wd but they're small and easily manuverable and if it does get stuck, many times you can simply push it out. Or pull it out with your Outlander. It will easily fit in the bed of your truck, I used to have one and I had an S-10 at the time and it fit easily in the bed. Might want to get an ES version, the foot shift one I had required some effort to shift. They might not all be like that but the one I had was.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Are you sure you need 4wd ?
I second that!

My TRX250EX will go many many MANY more places than my 4x4 quads. That is the most versatile, reliable, and nimble quad I've ever seen.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a solid decade plus of big flagship 4x4 models out there, it would seem you need the front axle to spin some wheels or else you might get stuck in the grand El parking lot! Actually, a small 4x sounds good for you, but you might be surprised just how capable a sport or 2wd unit actually is. Not that you will be running anywhere near as hard, but look for some gncc videos on YouTube and such. Proper tires, skill, and line choice can get you through a lot of mud. On the 4x4 end, I would look at the 450cc and below models like that Zuk, or the Honda Rancher, various Yamaha models, etc. Polaris even has a few they offered in a smaller chassis.

Congrats on getting the wife on her own, sounds like the beginning of years of fun together.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I think the smallest 4x4s made are the old suzuki 300 king quads and the smaller 250 version. They aren't light, they aren't fast, they aren't nimble, but they are smaller in all directions. They have high, low and superlow ranges so they're fun to ride at 1 mph while climbing over stuff.

Here's my 300 king next to a mudpro:

Name:  1201021309_zpssufem8rq.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  397.6 KB

The king is more stable with a lower center of gravity.

But the 250EX will go more places:

Name:  1013021730.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  257.4 KB

Name:  1013021729.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  291.7 KB

Name:  1026021720.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  296.8 KB

The 250EX will climb steeper hills and more confidently. It will descend hills more confidently. It fits between more trees. It bunny-hops over logs and rocks. The only place the King or Mudpro will outdo the 250EX is in the deep mud (which can be easily avoided around here).

I'm always waiting on the guys who ride the big 4x4s to run their winch cables to cross something that I just hopped over. Sometimes I have to park mine and ride theirs up or down a hill because they were too scared and when I'm done I say "yeah, that thing sucks!" and then have to change my underwear

The reasons I can see to have a 4x4 is: 1) pulling heavy loads. 2) Seeing who can go through the deepest mud as a sport. 3) Comfort of having a big machine with a CVT transmission. 4) Having a bigger toy that the Joneses. But if the goal is to get from A to B, then the 4x4s are a giant disability with too much weight, not enough turning-radius, and too high a center of gravity.

Quick Reply: Need smaller 4WD ATV.