Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need smaller 4WD ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda is odd even on their bigger ATVs like the 500 Foreman/Rubicon it only has the small paper cartridge type oil filter that's only a 3rd of the size of the spin on types that most use now.

I just did a oil change on my friends 500 Foreman and could not believe the how small the filter was. The oil filter on my old 250 Moto4 was the same size and much smaller then the spin on my 350 uses.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm used to seeing those smaller filters too and that's actually what they sent me when I ordered a filter for the 250ex. It wouldn't be too hard to add a canister filter since the ex has an oil cooler.

Something like this:

Name:  remoteoilfilter.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  49.1 KB

Most of those small paper filters have bypasses in case the filter gets too clogged, but I wonder how much oil bypasses the filter anyway even if the filter is new. Maybe that's why honda didn't bother with a filter?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

good atv

Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, many sport quads and dirtbikes are running the paper filters. My wife's Mazda runs a paper oil filter too. I don't really see them as being a problem. Same with the filter screens. These things have been in use for decades, they work.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Rancher has one of the paper cartridge inline filters, its pretty small too. I had a Grizzly 660 before and it had one of the automotive type spin on filters. I think Honda just prefers using those type. I guess they work, Honda engines are very reliable. I wouldn't worry about adding an auxilary filter, just use the type it came with.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of folks substitute the aftermarket cleanable stainless steel mesh cartridge filters for the OEM paper cartridge filters. They are a very fine mesh, however, much finer than the filter screens on the smaller quads.

Those Honda paper cartridge filters seem to be the same units on ATVs and M/Cs going back to the 70s. I like how inexpensive they are, even from Honda. Spin-on filters are usually paper, too, but cost a lot more.

I want to emphasize my point above: Honda's elimination of the oil filter in these larger engines (250cc) has not caused any notable falloff in their reliability. Maybe we will see it more in larger engines. They have similarly shown that 90-weight gear oil is not necessary in gear boxes and rear ends.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Meh, many sport quads and dirtbikes are running the paper filters. My wife's Mazda runs a paper oil filter too. I don't really see them as being a problem. Same with the filter screens. These things have been in use for decades, they work.
Both small thumb size insert cartridges type oil filters and Automotive spin on oil filter use paper if you sawed though the spin on's metal casing. There is no question the spin on types have 4x the amount paper tough and are quicker to change.

you can even go from a 2.5" long spin on to a longer 3.5 if you want even more paper for the oil to go through.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Both small thumb size insert cartridges type oil filters and Automotive spin on oil filter use paper if you sawed though the spin on's metal casing. There is no question the spin on types have 4x the amount paper tough and are quicker to change.

you can even go from a 2.5" long spin on to a longer 3.5 if you want even more paper for the oil to go through.
Sure they may have more filter material, that alone doesn't make them filter any better. Duration between filter services can be longer though. Yes, spin on filters are quicker to change. Time has never really been an issue as most atvs only have 3 bolts holding the filter in. Either way the main engine oil hasn't fully drained before I have a new filter on. I even run a stainless reusable filter on the YFZ, buy once cry once, no more filter expenses. That does add some time to the oil change though.