Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 sticky throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 sticky throttle

My kids' LT80 is running great after a top end rebuild. Unfortunately, the last time we were out, the throttle got stuck. My daughter brought it to a stop and when she stepped off of it, it hit me in the legs and I took a ride on the front of it for about 15 yards before I turned the switch off. If it hadn't hit me, it would have flown across the field into the fence.

How do I adjust the throttle cable? This thing is definitely not safe at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no adjustment to fix it if it's sticking. You probably need a new throttle cable.

The large spring on top of the slide in the carburetor is what pulls the throttle back. The only other thing it could be if it's not the actual cable would be your carburetor slide is somehow sticking and not wanting to return down in the carb. Chances are, it's not that though. Most likely it's the cable. You could try lubing it with a cable luber, but it my opinion, if it's already sticking, lubing it is just a temporary bandaid. It probably needs a new cable.

yagerzzz

Old 03-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much has it been run since the rebuild? Is it possible the cable got routed improperly during assembly? If it is sticking due to water or dirt in the cable, I agree it is time for a new one.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Trailblazer

After the rebuild, Its been out 3 times for a total run time of about 1 hour. I did the top end assembly, and it worked perfect the first two times out. I went ahead and ordered a new throttle cable to be on the safe side. Hopefully that'll do it.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

May check where the cable goes thru the adjuster on top of carb cap it may be on top of adjuster instead of in it. It has happened on mine, it's not stuck wide open but enough to get it moving good. How did it feel when you chopped the throttle, fast return or slow back to closed position after the top end rebuild.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lt granddad
may check where the cable goes thru the adjuster on top of carb cap it may be on top of adjuster instead of in it.
ditto.

Move the cable up and down. Turn the adjuster till the cable stops moving up and down. Lock in place.
Sould be good to go.
1 thing,the cable seems touchy as far as positioning. If you happened to pull on it and make it tight somewhere, that could do it.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a new KFX throttle cable. It was $3 less than the Suzuki throttle cable. That part crosses over right?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, they only changed the stickers and plastic color I believe.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Trailblazer

I had a local bike shop install the throttle cable and adjust the carb and the quad runs great. However, I forgot to switch the fuel petcock to off and it wouldn't start. I'm guessing it's flooded. I gave up on it, and figured I'd try again this afternoon.

Is there a trick to "unflooding" a quad????

Old 03-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Not really a trick to unflooding it that I know of, but hold the throttle wide open when you're trying to start it and it helps. It will bog a little at first when it starts, but it should clear out very quickly.

Quick Reply: LT80 sticky throttle