Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt230e oil in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt230e oil in exhaust

Hello.

I am trying to get a engine running after a few years of sitting. I am getting a lot of blue smoke and oil spitting out of exhaust. Great spark. Getting gas, no problem there. Carb is not over filling engine. Oil level fine. Spark plug new and checked after running it was white grey. Not wet or coverd in oil. I let it sit for a week and went to start it and it has no compression. I dont have a compression tester. I can easly pull it over without decompression lever. The week prior if i tried it with out the lever it would pull my arm off. I am thinking the rings are good but the exhaust valve is stuck open. Before I tare into the engine I would like some feedback.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The rings can't be that good if it was burning oil. After a long lay up they can "gum" to the piston but will free off with use. A sudden drop in compression is more likely to be a valve. Check clearances, a very big clearance on one valve points to a valve stuck open. A quick, temporary cure for stuck rings is a teaspoon of oil down the plug hole, this stops gas escaping down past the rings, so should raise the compression for starting, but soon burns off (more smoke).

Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only two ways to burn oil. Getting past rings, or worn out valve seals. If your compression is bad also, I'm guessing the rings are the culprit if it's burning oil.

If your curious about the exhaust valve possibly being stuck open, it's easy to determine on that bike since it has a compression release. Once lifted up, it manually forces the exhaust valve open. It's supposed to automatically close once the piston is at TDC when pulling the pull starter. Lift the lever and see if it feels like it's overcoming the exhaust valve spring. If it's hard to lift, your exhaust valve is probably not stuck open. If it's very easy and doesn't really feel like it's lifting anything, it's very possible that your exhaust valve is stuck open.

But I doubt that's what's going on if you're also buring a lot of oil. My money is still on needing rings and possibly a new bore/piston.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be working on it this weekend. I bid on a valve compressor tool on ebay and won it for ten bucks and also got valve seals for another ten. I have a few extra jugs and piston ring sets from other deals from the past if I need it. When I pull the cord the decompression lever half the time never closes. When I pull the cord and its on it feels the same as when it is off and try to start it. I did put oil in the cylinder before my first atempt to run it. When it was running oil was dripping from the exhaust where it meets the muffler flange and also out the tail pipe. It smoked more after it comes down from reving and not so much on idle.