Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230s has reverse and struggles to go into gear

Old 10-16-2015, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lonerider856
Yea i was thinking of boreing mine to like 250 or 260 idk yet. And yea my 85 230ge quadrunner is still ripping like like its new and neither of mine smoke or leak nothing for being 30 years old. But the only problem i hav ever heard of the 230s having is them being case crackers. From where the rear bearing would blow and sling the chain into the strator cover but hell mine still has the original case saver.
Stock bore is 66mm I just went to 66.5mm. 68mm is the farthest you can go but I don't think it would make much difference. Mine was smoking like an old coal train. The bore looked like glass and was .004 over so that's why it smoked but I wanted my boy to learn a clutch you know over reving and **** before I fixed it. And It really wasn't hard to do. The only tool I didnt have was a new single cut file to gap the rings. oh and I screwed up setting my valve lash, i was setting it ETDC instead of ITDC. so i thought I was set at.001 but reall I was set at.125 or 1/8inch haha. that was a bitch to track down.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ahh well *** it than ill leave it stock till the bastard blows up haha but im gonna look into them front shocks and all... As soon as i get done my whole doin the quad in my image ill post some pics up of it. Im not mjch of a racer but i love goin out in the mudd hence y i got the quadrunner and dude i swear to u ive never been stuck with it. Been up in mudd past my my back rim and jus kept going. And i rlly dont wanna mudd my 230s but im getting mudd tires all the way around which is y i wanted to lift it alil so the mudd doesnt reach my motor all that much.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by lonerider856
Ahh well *** it than ill leave it stock till the bastard blows up haha but im gonna look into them front shocks and all... As soon as i get done my whole doin the quad in my image ill post some pics up of it. Im not mjch of a racer but i love goin out in the mudd hence y i got the quadrunner and dude i swear to u ive never been stuck with it. Been up in mudd past my my back rim and jus kept going. And i rlly dont wanna mudd my 230s but im getting mudd tires all the way around which is y i wanted to lift it alil so the mudd doesnt reach my motor all that much.
If youre worried about mud then go with the widest tire you can, don't worry about height. Your best bet is to float and get tread that cleans out when you gun it. All height will do is bog your gears but it will help in ruts. I'd stick with 22x7s in front and 24x10s in rear. Thats experience telling ya that bud. I've never been stuck either. I've had to get off and push a bit while gassing it but never needed a pull. thats another nice thing about the 230s, it dont weigh much! I'm surprised someone hasnt invented backstraps for it so you can pack it around on your shoulders haha. Good luck and have fun. Glad you wear a helmet. Shows you got sense and want to keep it. Anymore questions just ask, there isn't anything I haven't torn up, rebuilt or fixed on these. My bike is practically brand new exept the tranny, crank and frame. And the way my son rides, well yeah.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Same brotha keep on wheeling and stay safe cause i kno i will b here in dirty south jersey

Old 09-18-2023, 06:33 PM
MikeBee
Default Lt230s. What are the bore limits?

I have a 1986 lt230s. It smokes..low compression. I pulled the engine apart. Does anyone know what the bore limits are?

Old 09-21-2023, 03:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

As nobody seems to know, I would guess at 0.003" wear, certainly 0.004" would be over the limit. It is worth getting a workshop manual anyway, as torque figures for the head and any special things you need to know would be in the book. As well as wear limits for bore, rings, cam etc.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:07 PM
MikeBee

Originally Posted by merryman
As nobody seems to know, I would guess at 0.003" wear, certainly 0.004" would be over the limit. It is worth getting a workshop manual anyway, as torque figures for the head and any special things you need to know would be in the book. As well as wear limits for bore, rings, cam etc.
Thank you for the information. I did download the manual. It did say up to .004 out of round.
I had the cylinder measured and it was .oo1 over. The way it smoked I though it was worse. Plus it wouldn't start anymore and only had about 60 psi.
Cylinder looks good. I hope it was the rings
I'm looking at top end engine kits. I know Wiseco is good...but has anyone used Namura top end kits? I mean the bike is old and isn't perfect. So is the Wiseco set worth the extra $$$$ VS Namura?

Old 09-27-2023, 03:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If the piston is OK just buy a set of rings, check the old ones first against the max gap shown in the manual. Low compression can be other things, head gasket gone, or valves not seating, you did check clearances before going for a stripdown didn't you? Grind them in anyway before re-assembly. Smoking can be valve seals leaking, so check stems and guides for wear, and put a new set of seals on.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:36 PM
MikeBee
Default 230 build

Thank you for the information. I am putting the engine back together now. I'm confused by the torque specs. Are the 4 larger head bolts the ones that have 2 acorn nuts 15-18 ft lbs?

Old 10-09-2023, 03:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry, but I haven't done a 230 engine rebuild, usually "larger" refers to bigger diameter, these take higher torques than thinner dia bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lt230s has reverse and struggles to go into gear