Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quick question re: stator pickup coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Jackie, I surely hope it takes care of the issue for you. Yes, keep us up to date!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Range Rover

Thanks, Fasteratv! Why am I feeling "Buyers Remorse?" LOL!!!! UPS is giving me a Friday delivery date for the part.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

I always feel that way ( actually worry is what I feel ) when ordering a CDI even after proving everything else is good. I think the remorse may simply be because of the chunk of money spent ....and it's electrical....a "magic" part!

Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 325 Likes on 317 Posts

When you fit a new CDI make sure the earth lead to it is sound and, once you get the bike running, check that the voltage regulator isn't overcharging the battery, 15v max, any more and the new CDI is in danger.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by merryman
When you fit a new CDI make sure the earth lead to it is sound and, once you get the bike running, check that the voltage regulator isn't overcharging the battery, 15v max, any more and the new CDI is in danger.
Thanks for this information, merryman! I will be very careful, they don't give those CDI's away!

Thanks again :-)
jackie

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Did you rcv the CDI and get it installed....? Good to go now?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Range Rover
Angry GGgggrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
Did you rcv the CDI and get it installed....? Good to go now?
You mean to tell me, you didn't hear me screaming last night? It still is messed up, however, it does start more often and run for longer periods of time. In fact, I took it for a ride last night and it ran great! But, I just knew it was too good to be true! This morning, it started and died, started and died, many times, then suddenly it sprang to life and kept running for about 30 minutes. I shut it off, came in the house for a little while, went back out, and it won't start again. Apparently it isn't the CDI, huh? GGgrrrrrrrr!!!! Before I shut it down, I flexed every wire on the thing and it never faultered.

Oh, and Yes, I did disconnect the kill switch.

What next besides a gallon of gas and a match?
Jackie

Old 01-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I know you said you ohmed out the stator and showed ok,but did you ever look at the flywheel magnets to see if the epoxy bonding had weakened and magnets had slipped? Might even be like what old D-Ray had on an Arctic Cat?

Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry... Saw in an earlier post you had already met old D-ray.. If not the flywheel or stator then has to be either a left control switch or wiring problem since you've just about checked out everything else. A coil can break down also, but usually when they got hot,a plug wire can pull out of a coil,a small bare spot in the wire can intermittently arc to ground,but haven't looked back in your posts to see if you've replaced that also.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sorry... Saw in an earlier post you had already met old D-ray.. If not the flywheel or stator then has to be either a left control switch or wiring problem since you've just about checked out everything else. A coil can break down also, but usually when they got hot,a plug wire can pull out of a coil,a small bare spot in the wire can intermittently arc to ground,but haven't looked back in your posts to see if you've replaced that also.
The rotor magnets were fine. That is why I tore the crankcase cover off in the beginning of this thread. I replaced the coil, the wire and boot, and the spark plug. I swapped out the regulator/rectifier with a known good one. I disconnected the kill switch wire at the CDI to the harness. Now I have a new CDI. It's still losing spark. UGH! Today, when it sat idling in the garage for at least 30 minutes, I yanked, twisted, and pulled on every wire to see if I could make the bike faulter or die. It just kept running beautifully.

When the quad was running yesterday, I did a voltage test out of the stator and, if I remember correctly, got 70-80 ACV. It was hard to hold the DVM and rev the engine at the same time.

I'm looking at a wire harness on ebay and I will get it, test it thoroughly, and put it on the ATV to see if that helps. Seven years ago, I had a problem similar to this and eventually found a bad waterproof connector. I cut that out and the ATV had been running perfectly ever since.

I will look at the left switch tomorrow.

Any more suggestions to try?
Jackie

Quick Reply: Quick question re: stator pickup coil