Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Carb problem or more..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problem or more..

1987 Suzuki lt230e. Just rebuild it .20 over, it ran like Toby's *** before and smoked, but didn't do this before. I go for Its first fire, not bad took a wile, anyway I let the engine break in. But it's idling way to high and won't go down
(I let it break in at this idle, it's like 1500 to 2000 rpm) but I didn't set the idle like that. Anyway so I went to turn down idle. No effect with the idle screws. It won't idle down and eventually it'll turn all the way off, when it runs it sounds like it's running right, but won't idle down. I cleaned the carb, taking it off I noticed the (what ID call a butterfly) for the throttle, the gray cylinder inside it controlling throttle isn't all the way closed. I have full movement of my throttle on the handlebar, have I missed something??

Old 04-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok a little more. I gave it gas. It blew the air filter off (lol) and I used my hand as a makeshift backpressure for it. (It feels like it's pushing more air out of carb than its letting in) I got it running halfway decent with my hand but.. Why. Why will it idle down with my hand blocking air vs the air filter. Oh and it's not the right air filter, it's some foam I bough from advance. Doesn't fit right

Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Get the right air filter and go from there.Could be too lean as it is.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Get the right air filter and go from there.Could be too lean as it is.
ok I'll try this and get back to you thank you.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I got an air filter. No difference. I did take the sights off the top of the valve cover, exhaust valve broke it's little screw out. I got a new one, replaced it. It now doesn't push back through the carb, yet it still won't start or run without my hand being there for backpressure...? Getting annoyed with this

Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also double and tripple checked valve timing. It's fine. Perfect. I adjusted valves best I could for the time being ( I can't keep it running long enough) is it possible choke is staying on and won't come out like I said I don't have the correct choke in it. It's capped off but the needle is still in it..

Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Figured more out. I have it running. It will start up and drive, no *****. It'll bog down and die after a minute of riding it. It'll idle (to a point) idle screw still does nothing. Give it gas is bogs down like it's running out of gas and eventually just putting around dies.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

How about getting the correct choke parts needed.Dirt Cheap Kawasaki & Suzuki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Outlet And install a good carb kit.http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-L-Supply-C...xUjSCQ&vxp=mtr At least you can then rule out the carb as a problem.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I already have a carb rebuild kit on the way, it'll be here Monday and I have all those parts but I don't have the cable. The choke is always off right now