Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki 500 King Quad power steering fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Suzuki 500 King Quad power steering fault

We got a 500 KQ in for service this week, the owner has been complaining of an intermittent power steering fault for a while. We fitted the device to fetch up fault codes, and got the EPS light flashing:- two long, two short, two short, one long. Long pause then two long, four short, one long. Trouble is, our workshop manuals are pre EPS so we don't know what these codes are. Tried the local Suzuki dealer, he put it on computer and nothing came up, the computer only reads engine management faults, he hasn't a book with the EPS codes in either. He tried ringing Suzuki, all technical staff are away on a course. Does anyone know what these codes mean?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 quad, same problem, clean all fusible links

i
Originally Posted by merryman
We got a 500 KQ in for service this week, the owner has been complaining of an intermittent power steering fault for a while. We fitted the device to fetch up fault codes, and got the EPS light flashing:- two long, two short, two short, one long. Long pause then two long, four short, one long. Trouble is, our workshop manuals are pre EPS so we don't know what these codes are. Tried the local Suzuki dealer, he put it on computer and nothing came up, the computer only reads engine management faults, he hasn't a book with the EPS codes in either. He tried ringing Suzuki, all technical staff are away on a course. Does anyone know what these codes mean?
dirty fusible links

Old 08-27-2017, 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I apologise, I did fix it myself and forgot to put the "fix" up on here. It was the battery live terminal broken. It was made so that part clamped round the wire's insulation, and part round the copper wire, the part round the copper had cracked through but was held touching together by the part round the insulation. Surprising that enough amps got through for the starter, but not enough for the power steering, except when the engine was revving, in which case the alternator powered the steering, which is why it was intermittent.