Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Just brought home a 2001 LT 80

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just brought home a 2001 LT 80

Just brought this home and parked it in the workshop... it's bone stock and the guy I bought it from has had it serviced at his local atv shop every year since he bought it in 03. I want to set it up for my daughter to ride trails (we don't have any sand dunes in my part of the Midwest) and have fun cruising around the neighborhood. Where should I start? I'll start collecting parts for this to be a winter project, I want her to enjoy it for the summer as is.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a real classic ATV you have there. There is quite a bit of interest in these here on ATV Connection. Teach your daughter to ride safely and in control. And enjoy father / daughter trail rides.

David

Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's the plan for now, but I can't help myself when it come to potential power boosts.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...I'm in the process of converting my boy's LT80 into a LT80R (check out my pics in the gallery)...I'll be a decent resource as I've already put in considerable time researching what works & what doesn't.

These machines are a classic example of too much motor for the chassis. With a few mods you can get it screaming...but in stock form it's already too much for the chasis...they are narrow and the suspension just plain stinks...

My son quickly got used to the power, but hated the ride/handling...which often limited his riding progression on the trails...hence the reason for the "R" transformation.

I let Jack Moore "LT80" build the motor & handle the clutch mods (he's raced these and is a wealth of information). For the rest I leaned on my own experience and tons of research. So...why improve a machine with some significant limiting factors (motor as swing-arm), because when it comes to minis these are some of the best built units you'll find...period. Our LT80 is 29 y/o and the frame/welds are incredible. I did a complete strip-down and the factory workmanship is awesome...I have no doubt it'll go another 30 years! Plus, 2-stroke just respond so much better to mods...bang for the buck, you just can't go wrong.

You are staring with a very clean machine...let me know where you want to go and I (as well as others on this fine forum) will help you get the most out of it!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Rough shape.. A lil rust on the wheels...HAHAHAHAHA

Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

I tried to reply to you personal message, but you're limited on the # of characters...so let me answer you widening question here:

Front:
1) Wheel stud extensions - Cheapest option and easy to install. Wouldn't race with them but I used them for a year with no issues. Negative on these is that they amplify the negative camber as the suspension compresses / \
2) Extended spindles - I think JBL used to make them, not sure if you can find them anymore, but these appear to be the choice of racers as it's a more durable option then #1 above. They weren't cheap and a bit more effort to install.
3) 300EX conversion kit - most expensive because in addition to the kit you need a complete 300EX front end. Not a fan of this kit as it makes the front end look goofy wide.
4) My option - merge a '85-86 LT250R front end onto the LT80. This will require some fab skills but I can walk you through what I did. It will add weight to the front end, but you get the benefit of dual a-arm geometry, disk brakes, longer shock, about 6" of width and (unlike every other quad) you can replace the ball joints without replacing the entire a-arm. You will need a brake master and LT250 wheels/tires, but all can be had off ebay for reasonable $$$.

Rear:
1) Mount the rims backwards - this is a free upgrade and uses the offset built into the stock wheel...gives you a couple inches
2) Durablue wheel spacer - reasonable cost and different size options...this is the path I went down
3) Durablue axel - I think it's a 6 inch increase in width and it's not cheap...also an involved swap

Hope this helps...

Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

"3) Durablue axel - I think it's a 6 inch increase in width and it's not cheap...also an involved swap"
2 hub nuts ~ 2 axel nuts and it's in and out.

I think I have a set of the screw on stud extenders (front).

Hey Frank, what was that guys name (in here) that fabbed up some of the James Lucky extenders?

Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure of his name...I'll have to look back...

It's always a good idea to replace bearings when the opportunity arises...so I'd be replacing those axle bearings making that job a bit more interesting...but that's me...

Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was looking at the durablue wheel spacer for all four corners (2.5"), unless I can find the James lucky extended spindles. She's not going to use this quad for racing, just messing around in the yard and neighborhood and probably some woods and field trail riding on private property. And as soon as I can figure out what set of tires I want to get to replace the stock ones I'll get the wheels blasted and powder coated so you don't have to see the ugly rust, HA!

LT80,
can you pm me info on chain tightening, frame reinforcement and maybe some pricing on your engine builds?
thanks,
Tom

Old 04-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Ok.
FYI: We raced with extenders (screw on type). Never had a issue.
Chain: Easiest/cheapest way:: Get a chain roller, stick a bolt thru it. Place it under the chain and push up. Mark where the bolt hits the connecting plate, drill hole and mount. you'll need washers to shim it out.
To be honest, she'll never break the frame.