Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

09 KQ 450 issue with braking then accelerating..

Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 KQ 450 issue with braking then accelerating..

So I just purchased a KQ and noticed one issue while driving it that I am hoping someone more mechanically inclined could help me out on.

Say I am going 20 mph or so and I hit the brakes hard and come to a complete stop, when I start to accelerate lightly it feels as if the ATV is 'stuck' for lack of a better term. Once I give it a little more gas it then somewhat jumps and then accelerates as normal. This only happens if I slam the brakes to a stop.

If I slam the brakes but then let go of them and roll to a stop it doesn't happen. So Im not sure if its something to do with the clutch, belt, or brakes.. Was wondering if anyone has run into this before or has any ideas..

Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Could be the belt getting ready for replacement, or the pulleys sticking a bit. Could also be the front disc calipers sticking, The sliders stick if the bike has been laid up for a while. Devils own job to un-stick them if they are. I take disc and pads off, re-fit caliper and knock them in and out. Brutal, and doesn't always work, but if it doesn't you usually end up buying a new caliper, aftermarket ones are available. Back brake cables can also stick, unusual on the 450 to 750 KQ but I have had to fit new ones. The left handbrake should spring back when released. The footbrake cable needs to be checked properly as the pedal has a return spring. The footbrake pivot can stick too, but again, this results in it not springing back.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, Im gonna start tearing into it this weekend, gives me somewhere to get started!