Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt80 top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here tear down an LT80? Do I need to seperate the motor/frame to get the top end off? Havent had a chance to pull it out and my hands dirty yet. I am planning to bore it and install the largest piston I can without resleeving. It just doesnt have any bottom end power. My kids just sit there on hills and it just wont go! How ugly a job is this gonna be? I did my Warrior in a couple of hours but I didnt have to rip the motor out of the frame or remove tons of cylinder shroud plastic and stuff like that. HELP!! Is this gonna be an easy pull of some plastic and there it all is or a big headache?

Old 04-19-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I just want to share my experience with the LT, when I got one for my son,it seemed underpowered,would barely climb any hills. Even a rebuild did not noticeable wake it up. I finally took the cover off the clutch,it was full of dirt and old belt dust,took the back clutch apart, the slots for the sheave slide pins were jammed full, turns out the clutch was stuck in high gear,so it pulled off the line like had no power,but on flat ground,it would go up to speed fine,after a while to let the engine wind up. cleaned and lightly graphite lubed the sliding parts, and it was a real eye opener, really took off,ran like new. I also did a mod to the front clutch, is has 6 roller weights inside, I was told to take out every other one,leaving a triangle of weights,this puts the engagement point higher, makes the engine stay in the power band.Turned my son's into a hill shredder, tires spin all the way to the top! So before you tear it all apart, do a quick check of the clutch, and make sure all the restrictors are taken out of the intake and exhaust.

Happy riding!!

Old 04-19-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ripped into the clutch assy once. Replaced the belt, everything appeared okay. Took the front apart and cleaned and lubed the rollers. Had a heck of a time keeping them straight and not flipping around when putting the assembly back on. The rear clutch was taken apart but not completely it too appeared okay with some scoring on the inside of the drum. I did not pull the springs or any internal parts out. LRD gets $180 for modifiying the clutch and that's a bit steep yet. I tried the 3 rollers and didnt notice any difference so I put em all back. Do you know what the compression should be on this little motor? It starts right up and has plenty of top end power. And once again is it a serious headache to get apart?