Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kingquad 700 timming

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingquad 700 timming

Hi all i have a 2006 700 kingquad. When you set the timming does the cam lobes face up ?on both cams?

Old 09-07-2017, 03:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Years since I did it, but they must do, you can't set timing with one set of valves open. On the one I did, one camshaft had turned in the gear so marks on the gear were no good, had to set it by the line across the end of the camshaft.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok i have sone it right. Strange the engine still cranks slow unless i cover the throttle body with my hand which then the engine cranks normal. I can fell the suction when i do

Old 09-08-2017, 02:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

When you cover the intake air can't get in, so there is nothing in the cylinder to compress, so no (or very little) compression, same effect as taking the plug out. That is why you do compression tests with the throttle open.

Did you make sure the lines on the cams were lined up with the face of the head with piston at TDC and mark on the flywheel at TDC, if you did, timing is OK. Why have you had the cams out?

Old 09-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Brought the quad with the cyclender striped down as the last owner had throught the bottom end had gone. When i got home i tested the bottom end and it was fine so i put back together. I also been told it might be a sensor what you think?

Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you made sure you have a good battery? If you have and the live and earth leads are all clean and tight at the terminals, and the engine is still turning slow, either there is something wrong with the starter motor or it's one way clutch, or something is partially seized in the engine. As it isn't the piston, or big & little ends, there is little else to check. I have had a seized effect when either starter clutch bolts or flywheel magnets come loose and jam in the stator windings.

The only sensor that could give the slow starter effect is the pickup for the ignition, and I can't see it firing early unless either it is mounted wrong or that flywheel key has sheared, and you did check for that didn't you?