Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

two new to me projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two new to me projects

I just got my first two quads, both Suzukis. Both have been sitting for at least a couple of years and do not run. One is a 1985 250, I guess,( maybe a 230) and the other appears to be a 1992 300 4wd. Both are in bad shape, cosmetically but neither engine is stuck so I thought maybe I could get them to run again. I started on the '85 250 mostly because I was able to haul it home first. I have since got the '92 home but I would like to work one them one at a time. If I figure out the '85 is scrap (or get it running) then I will start on the '92. Yeah right, how many times have I said that before!
I have removed all the fenders for access to the working parts and have removed the gas tank to clean it out well. After I remove, clean, and reinstall the carb I will begin to check out the ignition system. That is where I will need some help! I have tried to figure out which wires are needed just to have spark at the plug, or run the engine. I am missing some parts, like the ignition key switch and the handle bar kill switch but I should be able to run it without them at least to see the condition of the rest of the machine, right? If all goes well and it runs and rides well, then I might pursue the missing parts and do a "restoration" on it. I found a simplified wiring diagram on another site that I thought was going to help me out but none of the wire colors match what I have and even the number of wire attached to some parts like the CDI unit was different so that didn't help much. Can anyone direct me to a wiring diagram for my '85 model? Thanks
If these things were a Studebaker car like my '52 Commander or my '55 daily driver truck I would know exactly what to do!

the '92 4wd coming home in the back of my Studebaker

Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Replying to my own thread... My memory ain't what it used to be, so I looked again. The '85 is actually a 6/84 LT250F.
Enough of the wiring was still connected so that I know where all the wires coming out of the magneto go, I think, but I have some wires attached to the rectifier that I don't know what to do with. One is a black/white wire so I know that it is ground on this machine, but I am stumped by the others. If I could just get enough wire connected to make it run, I would know whether I want to proceed with the project or not.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You really need the proper wiring diagram, which is now a nightmare as someone has found a way to fool Google's search engines by putting up hundreds of falsely labeled diagrams, all linking to the same website. May be worth finding a used workshop manual. Don't try the bare minimum wiring approach, even the early machines seem to have fairly complex interactions between things like the CDI and neutral switch, etc.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I have too many other things projects going to get involved in fourwheelers. Someone else needs to be up to their elbows in these two. I am busy trying to restore my '67 Tote Gote. Not to mention my back yard full of garden tractors. The smart thing to do would be to walk away before I start spending money on them. I don't always do the smart thing but when I do...

Last edited by Tom C; 04-25-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: additiong