Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadzilla horsepower numbers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 02:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you quadzilla experts out there knew how much horsepower a stock zilla put out? Also, I had a 87 that was ported when I bought it (I don't know by whom) and had an old Paul Turner pipe. The quad hadn't been ridden in like five years or more. I restored it and put on a LRD adjustable pipe and siliencer, a Moto Tassanari V-force Delta 2 reed cage (before you say the v-force 2 isn't available for the 87, you're right, but I had a custom "adapter plate" I guess you could call it made) a Wiseco Pro-lite piston, and a K&N filter. It had a 39mm Keihin carb that was bored to a 41mm supposebly (when I bought it also) and ran on race gas. It was fast. Now I am working on buying a 1990 that is also ported, I don't know by whom but runs on pump gas, it has a FMF pipe and siliencer, Boyesen reeds (stock cage) and a K&N airfilter. If anyone knows, I would be interested to know both the stock horsepower and what you would "guess" the horsepower of both of these modified machines to be. I doubt that the 90 will be as fast as my 87 but I'm sure it will be fast enough. There weren't any real major differences in the motor's were there, except for small things like head studs and stuff like that. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2001, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

For some reason or another I think it was like 52 or 57 or I don't even know.....But I am interested in what ya think of the LRD pipe. Or even the PT pipe. I'm hopin FMF comes out w/ their SST pipe for the zilla, but I doubt it. Oh, and were can I get an adapter for the V-force? FMF's valve seems outdated......thanks alot!!

Old 06-21-2001, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Well, when I bought the quad it had the Paul Turner pipe and siliencer on it. It was old and rusty (kinda like the entire quad at the time) so I sent the chassis out to be powder coated and ordered a chromed LRD adjustable exhaust. The Paul Turner produced UNREAL amounts of low end torque which I felt quite honestly made the quad hard to ride, WHENEVER you touched the throttle the front end came WAY up, I liked to ride on the MX track and that made things a bit tricky. I installed a K&N filter, the V-force 2 reed valve and the LRD pipe and siliencer all at the same time, so it's was hard to tell exactly what each component did. But after that the quad still had all the low end torque I would ever need plus reved out a lot better. HUGE power through out the ENTIRE powerband!
About the V-force 2 adapter.....I ordered a V-force Delta 2 reed cage for an 88-90 LT500R, 88-92 LT250R. I am a machinist so I took the reed cage into work, took a 1/4" piece of aluminum plate, laid it out and made a manifold for it. If you brought both the new reed cage and the stocker into almost any machine shop and explained to them just what you wanted to do I'm sure they could get you fixed up. BUT......the 88-90 reed cage is probably a good inch narrower than the 87, which means that your new reed cage doesn't fill it's entire spot in the cylinder, not that it's a big deal, it still worked great for me, but if your serious about trying this here is what I would look into.
I WAS TOLD that an Arctic Cat snowmobile's Suzuki engine has the same reed cage as an 87 Quadracer, so I'd look into maybe ordering one for that rather than the 88-92 quadracers.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:09 AM
Range Rover

On the title it says 51 hp at the crank! I bet your 87 was around 70 if done right.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

This page has a lt500 dyno graph. you need to download the viewer to see it. it is 51hp. http://www.mobiledyno.com/sys-tmpl/dynorunviewerpage/