Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Questions on my new zilla

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, just bought an '88 500 from the original owner. It has the original tires still on it, half worn, owner's manual and even the bill of sale. It even has the original chain on it! I owned an '86 250 q'racer over ten years ago and that was a POS. Is there anything to look for on the 500's.

Old 07-15-2001, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

That's cool! I myself just bought an '88 Quadzilla from the origonal owner just yesterday. This thing is imaculate, I mean showroom condition or better, completly stock though. I plan to do a little bit of modifications to it but not a lot, I had an '87 that was built ot the max but I couldn't keep it running. On my '87 I had problems developing air leaks both from the head and the base gasket, I also had transmission problems. I know they took care of the head problem in '88 but what else should we watch out for fellow Zilla owners? I want to keep this Zilla in tip top shape and never fall behind. I was also wondering what kind of pipe you all like on your 500's? I never liked anything FMF made for Suzuki's. I had a Paul Turner on my '87 but the thing made so much torque that it was very hard to ride on the mx track and I overall didn't like it very much. I also don't want just a high RPM screamer either. I ended up buting a LRD adjustable exhaust for my '87 and I loved it, though it cost me almost $400 by the time it arived at my door, it was definently an excellent pipe. Any suggestions on anything that may be even better yet?

Old 07-15-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard to go over it with a fine tooth comb, or wrench, and tighten EVERY bolt you see, they like to rattle loose.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2001, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, I went over the quad today and everything looks pefect. The only thing wrong with it is one front fender is cracked. Have any of you 500 owners cut your fronts to a race style? I would like to know where to cut them. Also think the carb needs a good cleaning, it sat for a good number of years. Does any one have any advice on jetting this bike? Everything is stock right down to the silencer. I took it out a couple of times today and it really rips. Thanks for any help. Karl

Old 07-16-2001, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

For jetting advice/help check out blastercentral.com and look for "Jetting 101" or macdizzy. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Range Rover

Look out for cracks by the footpegs. Another place to look out for cracks is the swingarm and the upper a-arm mounts. The best advice for the swingarm is to throw it away and buy a laeger's. My life has been simplified by this quality swingarm. Check the torque on the head nuts and cylinder nuts as well.

My 500 has taken a liking to 22" tires in the dirt with 14/40 gearing and 21" tires in the sand with 14/42 gearing. I use the lower gearing in the sand for drag racing now and then. I also highly recommend 22" tires for the front.

If you really want to save yourselves some money, take the a-arms, swingarm, all shocks, front hubs, and rear axle off. Grease the **** out of all the bearings before you have to replace them. The bearings on the front are needle bearings that like grease. These bearings turn in to dust (literally) if you don't grease them. My 500 came from a guy who didn't believe in maintnance, but did believe in riding in salt water. I changed every bearing on that quad and it cost me.

Good luck

Old 07-16-2001, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the good info. There aren't any cracks in my frame or swingarm, I don't think the quad ever left the ground. Got it from a farmer who only rode it in hayfields and the woods. Is the swingarm a weak point of the 500? I am familar with Honda's but this Suzuki is a whole new ball game. Thanks, Karl

Old 07-16-2001, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

The original swingarm on my 500 was a pos. It cracked over and over again. I had it reinforced (had it boxed) and this seemed to help out. In the end I got sick of the crappy chain adjustment and cracks. I bought a +2 Laeger and haven't had a single problem. The Laeger has a Honda-style chain adjustment which I must say, is very nice.

I think the biggest problem with the swingarm was my own fault. I like to jump on my quad. I took some pretty hard hits in the early days and probably ruined the swingarm on my own.

Let it be known that the swingarm will probably hold up just fine for most people and is not the weak link for this quad.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

I also use a leager swingarm, it is much nicer looking and stronger than stock, and like 87 said a breeze to adjust. Like mentioned above grease grease grease!!! you need to take the front and rear end apart atleast once a year in dry conditions with medium use, and more often in muddy conditions or if you ride it every weekend. I have seen guys put in zerk fittings to make this eaier but in most area's these don't get the grease into the bearings. As for the carb pull the float bowl and clean everything out. As for jetting if it is all stock you shouldn't have to change the factory jetting unless you bought it out of town in a different climate or altitude, after riding it for a while do a full throttle run and kill the motor while you are at full throttle then pull the plug and make sure it is brown, if it is white you are to lean, and if it black then you are to rich. I also recommend that you run premium gas and a synthetic 2 stroke oil at 40 to 1. I know your manuals say 20 to 1, but that was back in the 80's when we didn't have the oils we do today. I run mine on 112 octane leaded fuel at 50 to 1 but Mine is about modded to the max. Oh and by the way congrats on your find there guys and enjoy your rides there is nothing like a Zilla.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

Hey Zillaman,

What did you try to get rid of those air leaks? I got an '87 as well and already ive found a stripped base stud and blown gaskets. Ive been told this is due to heaps of compression. Ive heard with the added use of gasket goo (sealer) and over sized head studs, you can get them to go properly. Did you run a cool head on yours with the two O rings? This will be the next mod i buy. Do you think that either shaving the ring or adding an extra head gasket to lower the compression is a good idea? With all the problems with air leaks i spose its the compression thats the problem. I know that lowering the compression will slow the zilla down but they rip too much as it is!

And for anyone who hasnt seen it, check this zilla out. This zilla is the reason i needed to buy mine! http://www.off-road.com/atv/qra/sep00/gallery.html
Congrats to this guy...

Hey Pennzilla, Do you have a website or some where i can see your zillas?

Quick Reply: Questions on my new zilla