Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

High altitude jets for carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has an 1998 King Quad Model LT-F300 FY. When we go 4-wheeling in Red River, NM and in western Colorado, we get into elevations of 10,000 to 12,000 feet or more. His King Quad has a stock carburetor jet. We have not been able to get any information from the dealership (in flatland San Angelo, Tx) as to the correct jet size. The carburetor on his machine also has an air adjustment of some form.

I have a 94 King Quad and my carburetor is a different model, I have successfully by trial and error, got my 4-wheeler to run pretty good at high altitudes. Does anyone have any practical ideas or know where we can go to find out the answers? Buying a handful of jets and trying them, is fairly expensive and time comsuming. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 08-06-2001, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Try buying a jet kit directly from DynoJet, not K&N. It will replace your stock needle, throttle valve spring, and stock main jet. The DynoJet needle is more tapered than the stock needle and will give you more throttle response from about 1/3 to 2/3 throttle opening. The instructions tell you which main jet to run at varying altitudes and also how to set your idle mixture. They even provide recommendations if you use an aftermarket exhaust.

I have a 2000 KQ with a Mikuni BSR 29mm carb. With a stock exhaust, DynoJet recommends a DJ100 main jet above 6000 ft. But keep in mind, this is with the DynoJet needle, not the stock needle. Also, for my carb, they recommend an idle jet setting of two turns out above 6000 ft., not the sea level, factory service recommended 2 5/8 turns out.

I've had this set up in my KQ and it has run fine at altitudes from 5000-10000 ft. It might even be a touch lean at the lower elevations, but runs like a champ higher up. I usually ride from 6000-8000 feet here in the Utah Rockies.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old 08-06-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Doc, you may want to pursue the dealer anyway. Find out what elevation the dealership is at because that's the area they set up the engines for... Where you buy your gasoline will also affect the performance of your quad. I'm not familiar with the numbers but gasoline chemistry is different in areas of elevation and climate. For instance, if you live in an elevation of 600. ft above sea level and gas up at home then travel to an area that's three to four times that elevation and run your engine, it's not going to perform the same as it would at 600 ft.

Mark, I do agree with the idea of getting a Dyno Jet Kit. My King Quad was a dead machine until I installed the SuperTrapp and Dyno Jet. My problem with my KQ is that she runs so rich with the setting I have, it flooded out at H/McCoy Trails, when I hit 1950 ft. elevation. I'm still screwing around with it (carb setting) but I haven't been riding much lately. You on the other hand, is enjoying the setting you have. I'm incouraged to get back to work and find the true meaning of LEAN.
Thanks,
Chuck

Old 08-06-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Chuck,
Good point about the gas. One observation; since there aren't any gas stations at 10000 ft, and you buy your gas at 5000 ft and then ride up to 10000 ft, you really can't get away from the situation you described. However, buying at 5000 ft. is much better than buying at 600 ft. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My (limited) experience with DynoJet is that their recommendations, at least for my machines (2000 KQ and 2000 250 Quadrunner 4x4), are a little on the lean side. I'm still tinkering.

With the SuperTrapp exhausts I now have on both machines, I'm using DynoJet's recommendations for riding between 3000 and 6000 ft. with aftermarket exhaust, even though I almost always ride above 6000 ft. I'm using 8 discs in the muffler, because I read that's what you use. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Actually, I don't think I want to get much louder than that; it scares the elk. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

With those settings, I'm getting the dark tan color on the white insulator tip, with just a touch of powdered carbon on the plug threads. Aren't we supposed to err on the rich side? So I'm going to run with that for a few months.

BTW, I spent a month in San Angelo, TX in 1974 as a Marine going to school at Goodfellow AFB. I have to admit the Texas folks there we great, even though I was arrested for beating up a waiter in the NCO club....This was a few months after I lost in the 1974 Florida Golden Gloves quarterfinals......Long story. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mark