Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

I need your Quadzilla feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am rebuilding an 89 Zilla (if my motor ever gets back to me, but that is an entirely different and way to LONGGGGGGGg story). Anyways, the motor will be pretty much stock except a .40 bore and a cool head. I need to know what size of Keihin carb to put on it, and I also need advice on pipe and silencer.

Please help with advice, as I hope to finish this soon....

Thanks

Jason

Old 08-08-2001, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Well the stock carb is a 38mm Mikuni. I had an '87 that was modded to the max and had a 41mm Keihin. As far as a pipe goes I had a LRD pipe and siliencer on my '87 and I now have an '88 that I just put a Paul Turner pipe and siliencer on. Avoid FMF and DG like the plague. As far as I am concerned DG has never made a good pipe and FMF has never made a good Quadracer pipe. LRD makes an excellent pipe, I was happy with the one that I put on my '87 but to tell you the truth I like the power output of the Paul Turner sysyem much better over all. It has a lot more low end over the LRD system. Great overall power. I would reccomend that pipe to anyone. Good luck

Old 08-09-2001, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

RaptorMan2001

I have FMF pipe and silencer and they are fine. Though after reading Zillaman's post, I am wondering how much different the LRD or PT pipes are compared to my FMF.... Maybe my FMF isn't as good as I think it is. I have a 38mm Kehin PJ carb. I am not 100% satisfied but I have other obligations these days and a new carb doesn't fit in with my program. Many quadzilla owners that I have met have had good luck with the 39mm PWK carbs, though I have met a bunch that have had luck with even larger carbs.

Zillaman, why do you dog on the FMF? If the other pipes are that much better I understand. Am I in the dark ages owning an FMF?

Old 08-09-2001, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

LT5001987 I think that if you bolted on a LRD or Paul Turner system onto your Zilla you would see what I'm talking about. I have just never been impressed with what the guys at FMF have built for the quadracers. My buddy has a ported and polished '92 LT250R with a FMF pipe and siliencer. Another friend of ours has an '87 LT250R that is all stock except for the PTR exhaust and the '87 has way more low end power and almost the same on top. I also rode a Zilla with a FMF and didn't feel it had near the power of the other pipes. FMF is a huge company compared to LRD and PTR and most of their recources are devoted to dirt bikes and what they do do for ATV's seems to be focused mostly on the Banshee and the TRX250R, and more recently on 4-strokes. LRD and PTR are both smaller companies who focus more of their research and development onto the quadracers, rather than the bikes. If you like your FMF system that's cool. I'm not ******* you, I just feel that if someone is looking to buy a new system that they can do a lot better. Later

Old 08-09-2001, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

CALL TUDORS PERFORMANCE (NUMBER AVAILIBLE AT WWW.QUADZILLATHON .COM) OR CT RACING AND TELL THEM YOU WANT A KEIHNIN 39MM BORED TO A 41 AND POWER JETTED. AS FOR A PIPE I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU RIDE? IF YOU ARE IN THE SAND OR NEAR ALWAYS DRY WEATHER NOTHING BEATS THE CT RACING OUTLAW PIPE. THE ONLY THING IS THAT THE EXHAUST EXITS THE SILENCER WHICH IS FRONT OF YOUR LEFT FOOT AND POINTS DOWNWARD, GREAT FOR SAND, BAD TO GET A FACE FULL OF WATER. I LIKE THE PAUL TURNER PIPES AS WELL, I DO RUN AN FMF PIPE AND SILENCER ON MY WOODS ZILLA, BECAUSE IT IS QUIETIER, HAS A SPARK ARRESTER, AND IT FITS WELL AND TAKES HITS REALLY WELL.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Guys- Is that carb over bore worth it? Also I've heard something about the carbs being hard to jet? DG or FMF pretty much make something simaler to the stock pipes, and I would rather stay with the stock one and save my money, Although ANYTHING is better then that garbage, stock silencer that LT's came with, looks like something a caveman would use to beat down its dinner!

Anyways..Since my 500's motor is also down, what would you guys reccomend for gaskets and oil seals? aftermarket or oem? where to get them? My dealer is also pretty expensive and I like mail order. I was thinking cometic. I was pretty pleased to find everything tight, So all I'm gonna do is get a steel sleeve machined for the left side case, since the right one already has it done. New crank bearings also. The cyl was off it for awhile, so I cleaned all the grunge out of the bottom end.

Old 08-11-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have an FMF setup and it rips. I can't picture any more usable power. Maybe I'll get an LRD or something next. I do know my FMF helps make a ton more than my stock setup did.

Old 08-11-2001, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

As far as mail order goes, I have had some mixed results. International Cycle Supply seemed to be the cheapest, however it took them forever to get my parts out here. They had to back order a chain, and that came like 1-2 months after everyone else.

I ordered a repair manual from MR motorcycle and Marine. It was a bit more money, but was shipped faster. I am in California, so that may be why it takes longer, but I think International is just slower getting there orders put together and shipped, and they take a while to get back to you on prices too.

I have also had great service from James Lucky and Duncan Racing, however they are both in California, so I have to pay sales tax, and shipping, which sucks.

Once my engine gets here, I will tell everyone whom not to do business with, but don't want to say anything until I get it in my possesion.

Old 08-11-2001, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

Say Raptorman, did you make the same mistake I did? I took Pennzilla's advise and sent my LT500 cylinder, Coolhead, and 39mm PWK to Tudor's Performance. I wanted the cylinder resleaved and ported, a high compression dome, and a Powerjet installed on my carburetor. After conversing via email with a Tudor's representative, and being told to expect a two week turnaround, I mailed off my parts on May 17th. My credit card was almost immediately billed for the full amount upon arrival. I STILL DON'T HAVE MY PARTS BACK!

I've been given three excuses so far: their server was down so they didn't know that I emailed them inquiring about my parts; they ran out of sleaves and had to "special order them"; and they were having family issues. Even if I chose to believe any or all of these reasons, why should I suffer -uncompensated- for their problems and why would I get charged the full amount months before they can even perform the work? I was last told that my parts would be shipped at the end of next week. Therefore, it will be OVER THREE FULL MONTHS that I am without my quad. I've missed over half my Wisconsin riding season!

Tudor's has been informed by me that I have recently received information on referring this situation to the Better Business Bureau. However, I doubt that such an unprofessional operation as Tudor's will even care. I have also told Tudor's that I expect to receive some sort of compensation for this inexcusable delay and early charge. If this company doesn't do something to make this right with me (money back or some sort of free future service), the B.B.B. will be notified.

The parts were sent in at what must be a busy time of the year, but a three month plus wait is unbelievable! When all is said and done and I have all the facts, I plan to make a full post on my impression of Tudor's Performance. I hope that by expressing my dissatisfaction publicly, I will take away at least a small portion of Tudor's customer base. Pennzilla is on this forum all the time touting the great services provided by his friend at Tudor's (I hope he gets a cut of the profit for all his advertising). I plan to make it one of my personal pass-times to follow-up every one of his praises with a dash of reality!

I don't mean this to be a bash on Pennzilla. He is always very helpfull to 'Zuke riders in need. Apparently, though, he doesn't know how the rest of us (who are not close personal friends) are treated by this outfit.

Old 08-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nope, it is not Tudors. Unbelievably, I sent mine out in March or April. My credit card was billed on May 24, after they already had it for a month or two, and I was told that they would be done with it and ship it around August 16th.

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't want to make many waves until I receive my motor.

Jason

Quick Reply: I need your Quadzilla feedback