Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Zilla Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day guys,

Thought id post a topic outlining how the rebuild is goin. Well when the gearbox spat itself i decided to do a complete rebuild. and I mean complete!

The engine was taken to a reputable M/c shop, and then i started stripping the chassis. I then sprayed the chassis with two coats of grey undercoat primer, and three coats of metalic silver, and then two coats of clear. The chassis looks like it just arrived from a factory! Ive started detailing all the components now. Ive sprayed the front and rear hubs, the brake capilers and the raditor in gloss black. I have sent the A-arms, the rear grab bar assembly, and the rear foot brake lever to the chrome platers.

So at this stage i have the bare chassis on a milk crate, Ive just reinstalled the front brakes, the steering stem, and a brand new set of silver renthals, new grips, some of the electrical stuff and the radiator. Hopefully i'll get the a-arms and chromed parts back early next week so i can put the front end back together. The engine will probably take a little longer.

Anyways more to come as it happens [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Where are you getting the chrome stuff done and what kind of prices do they charge?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2001, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

Im getting it done at a place called vinci chrome platers in malaga, (Perth Western Australia) There charging $170(AUS) for the parts i mentioned, including sand blasting. i thought it wasnt a bad price!

Old 08-30-2001, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

Since you went to all the trouble of completly stripping the chassis I think that I would have had the frame powdercoater. I sprayed my 250 chassis once and it didn't hold up. I used all the primers and everything too. I then had the chassis on my 500 powdercoated. For the frame and the a-arms I'm thinking it was about $250 american money. It's very durable though. Just a thought.

Old 08-31-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Powdercoating tends to oxidize rather quickly though, unless your in wet environment I dont think powdercoating is the way to go. A good automotive paint would probably work best for more of a desert ride.

Old 09-11-2001, 02:19 AM
Range Rover

Update - 11.09.01
G'day boys and girls...

well the zilla is finally coming along. Its now on wheels and looking great. Just to give you a run down, I got the chromed a-arms back, then got the new holes tapped for the grease zerks. i also got the springs back, nicely powdercoated gloss black. i cleaned the shock bodies with warm soapy water and wire wool. there now back together.

i assembled the front end last weekend. all went together without a hitch, however, i replaced all the needle rollers in the a arm bearings but im not sure they'll last for a long time. next i bought new brake pads all way round, and reassembled the rear end. i sanded then polished, then painted the rear axle with clear coat. we'll see how long that lasts but right now it looks pretty good.

so now it sits on the paddle tyres ready for the dunes. nothing but shiny silver paint, chrome a arms, and black gloss parts....looks rrreeeaallll nice! Just waiting on the engine. got a call from the MX shop and they told me the gears are on backorder from japan....so that puts it back a bit. next in line is the new sprocket and chain. also im getting the foot pegs chromed, and i need to remount the nerf bars. after that its ordering the Maier plastics (white fenders and black hood), seat recover, new LRD or Paul Turner exhaust, and we should be lookin at a mean dunes/MX/flat track machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ive got some cool pics of it as i go too. but like the idiot i am, i forgot to take some before i started!!! der.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]