Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

MY SMOKEY LT250r

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best oil/ premix to mix with my gas for my quad. It seems to smoke alot and what other ways can i help that? PLease and thanx! T Cass
86' LT250r

Old 09-11-2001, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

A smokey motor in a two stroke is a good thing...usually. for me it means your running a decent amount of oil to make the smoke. Firstly, what mixture are you running? What brand of 2 stroke oil are you running? Have you checked your gearbox oil? check that your level in your gearbox is not going down. Other than that, if your bike is running fine then i would put up with the smoke. I get way more worried when i have no smoke! No smoke means no lubrication in most part. The more smoke, usually the more lubrication.... hope that helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2001, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am running it at 20:1 but i ran it with a little more oil because i was breaking in my new cylinder and piston and i went a little heavy on the oil and there was no smoke> But now with less oil it smokes. My gear box oil is good too! But i hear the same thing you said. I will go with the smoke IT will just suck for who ever is behind me.. NOt only is my TOY faster.. Its smokier! THANX BYE

Old 09-12-2001, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Your running at 20:1 with a little more oil!! No wonder your bike is running smokey! You should run your bike with a good oil at 32:1 and DO NOT add more oil during break in, the gasoline is what cools the engine and adding oil just makes it run hotter. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2001, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

ahhh gasoline will not cool the engine. its got nothing to do with cooling at all....More gasoline will give a more 'lean' mixture to fire in the chamber. The leaner the mixture, the more power, thus the more heat. oil is mixed in the fuel for lubrication.

If we ran with pure gasoline, then the engine would run like a rocket...for about two seconds! Please dont tell people that 'adding oil makes the engine hotter'. find whoever told you this a smack em...hehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] the mixtures that we run are a combination of these factors - protection of the engine, performance, and reliability things like plug fowling. A little more oil may fowl plugs, hinder performance, but will give better engine protection. Less oil will improve performance, give a lesser chance of plugs fowling but will increase the chances of engine failure.

I personally use the exact mixture that the manufacturer says to use. Also Gary is right, when breaking the engine in, just use the same mixture as you did before. When breaking in, u want the engine to wear itself a little to seat the ring in the cylinder. if u add more oil, thats better lubrication, which means that it will take the ring longer to seat itself in the cylinder, so your break in period will be longer. Just use the normal mixture u usually use and that should work fine. My dad uses 32:1 in our lt250r. theres a small amount of smoke, but the bike runs fine. Ive been told to run 40:1 in my 500 but im a bit reluctant considering that it runs fine using 32:1. id prefer to run more oil and have an extra few months of riding before i rebuild the engine. Hope that helps TCA [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2001, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

The fuel does provide some cooling but I'm sure you wont notice a difference between your mixtures. A lean mixture will definately create heat though! I would also recommend using the suggested mixture (or close to). Dont use synthetics during break in either. Stick with a conventional for a while and then switch over if your choose.

Old 09-12-2001, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

how can it cool? the fuel enters the engine as a gas. not a cold gas but just a gas. this cant do any cooling at all. I know when i used to race Karts, that with the KT100s engine, you could choke the carb and that would let nothing but fuel into the engine which would cool because its still a liquid. but even that was extremely small amount of cooling. In normal operation, the carb sprays a fine mist of fuel into the air coming through the carby to mix. so this is basically all gas by the time it reaches the cylinder. u know how fuel burns but fuel vapour explodes......well....

telling someone that more fuel means better cooling is simply wrong. Just need to clear that up so the wrong advice isnt taken. If I am wrong on this then someone tell me but im almost certain i have this one correct [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2001, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

I agree 100% that you wont see much of a difference between the mixtures. However, the fuel does provide some cooling, I dont remember the term they use but it does have a cooling effect. Even more so when using alcohol based fuels. Dont get me wrong, this will not change the temp in your engine by a significant amount if you change the mixture. Its the reason you choke it down on the karts, fatter mixture provides a little more cooling, wet cooling or something like that. If your consistenly hot however there is an enherent problem not associated with the mixture.

Old 09-12-2001, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your saying go by what the manufactuer says.. Well they say and my book/ manual on my ATV says a 20:1 mix. Whats correct, i am new at this and i want my ATV running at its best. what is the best ratio THANX

Old 09-12-2001, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

My manufactuer and book/manual says a 20:1 ratio is fine or thats what it says. I would like less smoke and performance. Which is better mine or your 32:1 THANX

Quick Reply: MY SMOKEY LT250r